Forums Latest Members

Trade omega fois for Seamaster 300 trilogy?

1. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 8, 2020

I've owned both. There are a couple of other cons on the part of the SM300 vs the trilogy watch. The SM300 has a well finished and advanced movement but it is a bit of beast and as a consequence the SM300 wears very big and deep. The double spring barrels thing was a bit of development dead end IMO and makes for an over chunky piece. The display back makes this even worse. The Trilogy SM OTOH is pretty thin but equally advanced with it's single barrel movement, also featuring silicon, free sprung balance, triple layer co-ax escapement etc.

The other thing is the bracelets. Some complain that the Trilogy bracelets are a bit too chunky for the watches, well this is even worse with the SM300, being 21mm lug width it is even bigger. The crystal on the Trilogy watch is very pleasingly curved but more conventional on the SM300. Both are sapphire. You could argue the ceramic bezel on the SM300 trumps the Trilogy Alu insert, it is difficult to argue against that to be fair.

For me, the Trilogy is the better watch but of course YMMV and it is hard to look past the extra ~$1500 the Trilogy SM300 commands. On a $ for $ basis the 41mm SM300 is the smart buy vs the 39mm Trilogy SM300, but what do I know, I sold both and kept the Railmaster Trilogy watch!

2. Scooterino36 Sep 8, 2020

I would love to get my hands on a Seamaster Trilogy, as I feel the SM 300 does indeed wear a little larger than I would prefer. That being said, I think the price difference in the preowned market is even greater. For example, I purchased my Seamaster 300MC for $3k (granted no box or papers) and they are commonly found around or under $4k preowned, while the lowest I have seen the trilogy go for is $6.5k. Even if I end up liking the trilogy piece more, I just cant justify that incremental cost.

EDIT: I do see a Trilogy Seamaster on Chrono24 for $5k, so there certainly are better deals to be had than my previous research tells me.

Edited Sep 8, 2020
  3. justrx Sep 9, 2020

Good hearing everyone’s personal experience with both pieces. I do like the Seamaster 300mc as well but the size would be to big for my wrist. I also prefer the brushed Center links on the trilogy. I didn’t realize how shiny the trilogy model is until reading the thread and watching some Youtube videos. It’s quite a charming piece but not sure if it has that “bling” factor. I prefer a more conservative look.

4. scapa Sep 9, 2020

Sounds like you've done your homework!

The SM300 LE is definitely a very charming piece, but it's certainly on the shiny side, if not overtly blingy. It also has a distinctive bezel feel -- mine wasn't loose by any means, but it was nowhere near as "positive" in its action as my other divers, and the action changed as it went round the dial. Still a beautifully-made watch, with a terrific set of accessories and packaging.

I think the FOIS is a superb blend of vintage and modern, with its own distinctive charm. The RMLE is the pick of the Trilogy litter, IMO. It really is close to the perfect watch for me.

5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 9, 2020

While I agree, and consensus is it’s a -ve attribute, I’m guessing like all new watches, the vintage ones were just as shiny when new. Nothing 5minutes swinging in a sock of sand and small stones can’t fix :)

padders likes this.
  6. WYO_Watch Sep 9, 2020

I do have the tendency to wear my watches :whistling: it’ll dull up over time
    5ACBFEC1-4AA7-4176-B189-EE42D3415771.jpeg DEC1144B-36B0-4AC9-9F9B-4FF554AE5EE6.jpeg

7. Scooterino36 Sep 9, 2020

I meant to ask, how does the lug to lug compare between the MC and the LE when wearing on the wrist? The thickness of the MC doesn’t bother me as much the length of the straight lugs. Being able to shave a little off of the L2L distance would be a huge plus.

thanks

8. kip595 Sep 9, 2020

I'd jump on a Trilogy SM given the chance (the sizing is near-perfect for me, at least), but the 2k seems a little much to add, as always, YMMV

Scooterino36 likes this.
  9. 3rdstringholder Sep 9, 2020

WYO_Watch likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 9, 2020

The L2L is long on both but longer on the 300MC in proportion with its bigger case and wider bracelet. I have a 7.25" wrist and I'll be honest, the MC was too big a lump for me, whereas the trilogy was perfect. It must be the height and L2L that was the problem as I can manage nominally larger watches OK as long as they are slim and short. The SMP 2531/2254 case wears smaller than both and that is 41mm too but very slim with small lugs.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  11. justrx Sep 9, 2020

12. justrx Sep 9, 2020

Is the railmaster trilogy just as shiny as the Seamaster trilogy?

13. Alfista88 Sep 10, 2020

Both the Railmaster triology and Seamaster triology share the same polished bracelet outer links, and long polished lugs. The curved bezel on the Railmaster is also polished, but its curvature makes it less blinding compared to the high-polish flat steel ring of Seamaster bezel when it reflects light.

The bracelet can be fully satin brushed for less than 100 USD. A watchmaker in San Francisco Union Square brushed mine for around $90, and I imagine it would cost less than that in most U.S. cities. The clasps on these trilogy bracelets are so big, and with the Railmaster having the smallest case out of the 3, I'd personally always wear it on a strap. It pairs beautifully with so many strap options! Oh, plus the domed sapphire shape on the Railmaster is exquisite!

If going with either the Railmaster or the Seamaster, try it out in person first? Not just for fit & for in-person assessment of whether they're too shiny... but also to see if the loud swirling rotor of their 8806 movement bothers you. Most forum members don't mind it, but that swirling rotor sound is the primary reason I sold my Seamaster. Beyond how loud it was, it I could also feel it spin around inside the case, whenever I rolled my wrist. Both of these characteristics just reminded me too much of Japanese Miyota movements found in an Invicta...

Omega's 8400 and 8900 caliber ranges don't have loud rotors. If the non-triology Seamaster 300 MC with the 8400 movement is too bulky for comfort, maybe try a Globemaster or Aqua Terra with the 8900?

You could also find some Oyster Perpetual 36mm's for around the same price as a Trilogy Railmaster. The previous generation 116000 wears very big, despite its case size. My 36mm has the same lug-to-lug as my 41mm 2220.80 Seamaster, and actually a bigger dial.

Have fun exploring your options! Oh, btw, I forgot to mention in my previous post what a joy it is to wind the FOIS everyday. Unlike the Speedy Pro or Sapphire Sandwich, the FOIS doesn't have crown guards. Winding it is sooo smooth! :)

14. hockey Sep 10, 2020

Seamaster 300 MC. Sits a little high but a commanding wrist presence. Cool ceramic bezel and display back.

1y.jpg

Scooterino36 likes this.
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 10, 2020

I can’t say that the rotor on the 8806 bothers me (I’ve had 2) so maybe you had a baddun? One option I will be exploring very shortly is trying the RM on the Uncles Seiko flat link. This would allow you to try a full brush thinner lighter solution without messing up the original. Personally I like the brushed/polished combo though. I agree the crystal shape on the RM is a major plus vs the SM.

One other thing to bear in mind. A fully polished finish like that on the Trilogy watches is very practical for a tool watch as it is way more straight forward to maintain than a brush. Even after intensive wear a good going over with a Cape Cod will improve a polished finish but nothing short of professional intervention can improve a scratched up brushed finish, other than in simple flat areas like a clasp.

Edited Sep 10, 2020
  16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 10, 2020

It’s an almost perfect combo.

278D4AB4-18D5-4859-9FB1-28E7D31EF216.jpeg

Scooterino36 and padders like this.
  17. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 10, 2020

Bear me to it again Eugene...

eugeneandresson likes this.
  18. jsmit262 Oct 7, 2020

FWIW when I was in the Omega boutique on 5th ave last week, the sales rep told me the FOIS was "being discontinued this year, so whatever's left in out there in the market will be it"

Obviously could have just been sales talk, but something to consider..

Mantequilla likes this.