Forums Latest Members

Town Clocks in appreciation,

1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Sep 1, 2016

A few days away from home and on a visit to Melrose in the Scottish Borders came across this town clock.
    From a different time and I suspect very few if any would be commissioned for a physician or surgeon these days.
    Any other "appreciation" clocks around ?

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

An accurate timekeeper b.t.w.

ahartfie and Spike like this.
  2. Canuck Sep 1, 2016

We visited Scotland in 2000. Staying in a B & B on our night at Leven, I heard the local tower clock strike 3:00 (AM). Being a bit of a tower clock nut, I loved the sound of the clock, even at 3:00 am! In a modern large city environment, it is often the case of not hearing a tower clock strike when you are less than a block away! As it happens, after one week in Scotland on our own, we took the train from Edinburgh to London to begin our two week tour of English tower clocks. We visited 38 tower clocks in 12 days, including the Great Clock at Westminster, the clock in St. Paul's Cathedral, the clock at St. Martin's in the Fields, the clock in the Royal Courts of Justice, the clock(s) at Salisbury Cathedral, and many more. The trip of a life time!

Jwit, ahartfie, Spike and 1 other person like this.
  3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Sep 1, 2016

I always remember as youngsters on our first tour of France staying in small village hotels usually within a few meters of the local church and the bells never seemed to stop, happy memories :)

4. barmy Sep 1, 2016

A local member of the NAWCC has the only tower clock that I know of, mounted on this garage. He is a retired machinist and decided to build a Howard Tower clock replica from scratch. Once he he completed the clock, he decided to put an addition on his garage with a clock tower on it (looks a little out of place on a modern split level house).

He has decided to build a few of them and try to market his replicas.

I'll try to get a picture of it and post in the next couple of days.

Jwit likes this.