Forums Latest Members

Tough times in sales corners

1. ATWG Feb 23, 2018

Couple of additional points, tax season is around the corner in the US. There was a 10% market correction a few weeks ago which has some impact. Lastly, there has been a HUGE run up in prices and the market is showing signs of fatigue.

I just don’t see 10k+ watches moving as quickly as they used to 6 months ago, unless it’s collector quality piece.

For now, I’m sitting on the sideline and evaluating FS posts with much more critical eye than I used to.

2. ClarendonVintage Feb 23, 2018

One thing about eBay for example is that there are loads of people who keep items in their watch list, and this can go on for weeks without making an offer. Definitely a little frustrating for the seller, who is probably wondering why don't buyers just make a reasonable offer :D (especially when the item is BIN and accepting offers)

Speedy Gonzales and asrnj77 like this.
  3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2018

a homepod?

are you kidding me ..... I love apple Tech but they are a day late and a $$ short.... kind of sad.....

how is the fidelity ?

as I listen to Jazz from the pawn shop DSD files via MODI 2 DAC via Marantz 2325 and on 4 XR5 Mcintosh Speakers!

I am not an audio snob.... just a FYI
    Bill

Kmart, nonuffinkbloke, R3D9 and 3 others like this.
  4. MaiLollo Feb 23, 2018

I feel like it is also harder to sell if you are € based, since a good portion of the members are US-based. Although it's convenient for us to buy, selling right now isn't the best thing we can do

5. ATWG Feb 23, 2018

Euro denominated sales are much tougher as the currency has appreciated against the dollar quite nicely over the past 12 months or so. I just folded on a rather large deal with a German seller b/c of this reason. For now, I'm sticking to US only purchases.

6. BenBagbag Feb 23, 2018

IMO, there is a very robust market for $350-$1000 watches. It is all about condition. Also, there is a market for these pieces as dealers buy up these forums and ebay to list on IG. Listing obscure watches around $500 when they are in less than great condition will deter some.

I would encourage some here to check out reddit r/watchexchange. There are a lot of young collectors there who seem to be willing to spend a couple of hundred dollars for their first automatic/manual watch. That may be a better place to list a less-than-perfect <$500 piece.

Looneytoons and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  7. WhatYourWatchSay Feb 23, 2018

But I have an appraisal !

[​IMG]

Kmart, khmt2, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2018

HI

I HAVE TO DISAGREE..... ;)

It just the watches I have are so COOL and unique and way beyond anyone else collections....

people are just like a deer caught in the lights of an on coming truck !!!!!

As I always say I have no problem keeping anything I sell as I only buy for myself!!! and no matter what I like it....

Good Hunting

Bill

amanson likes this.
  9. Just Livin Feb 23, 2018

Maybe we are all just getting older here. Having more kids. Paying more taxes and discovering more sins.

wkimmd and Nathan1967 like this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2018

The homepod audio quality is better than anything I've ever heard in something that size, it handles the Apple Music side of things extremely well and I'm using it with my Apple TV frequently as that's where I view most of my media. Excellent device, brilliant packaging and the microphone array which lets you quietly ask for something over genuinely loud music playing is brilliantly done, overall 9/10 so far, when they let you add a second for stereo it'll be 10/10.

micampe and MMMD like this.
  11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 23, 2018

You and I are the reasons I'm still buying shares of AAPL:D

micampe and dsio like this.
  12. R3D9 Feb 23, 2018

Just don’t place it on your Herman Miller side table or buffet... otherwise you’ll end up a victim of the ring of death ;)

7942CB53-4E32-43AA-AC6D-962CC4A2B505.jpeg

I’m the prototypical Apply fanboy, but also a Sonos devotee and until they sort out multi-room audio and compatibility with home entertainment systems and Spotify, the HomePod is a huge pass for me.

This might be one area where Apple’s closed ecosystem really does come back to bite them in the rear end.

Time will tell.

ClarendonVintage likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2018

Ah you have one too? How are you finding yours?

At the moment its sitting on top of a stack of old magazines on top of an old couch covered in clothes, if it leaves a mark on that I'll live ;)

R3D9 likes this.
  14. 77deluxe Feb 23, 2018

Wow, those rings are not cool. Design flaw there?

15. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 23, 2018

No, I don't have one... yet. I like my Sonos system. Heavily Apple-d up in many other ways though.

Edited Feb 23, 2018
  16. amanson Feb 24, 2018

So true!

17. pippy Feb 26, 2018

We are not rational, we collect watches.

CdnWatchDoc, George.A and Larry S like this.
  18. jhross98 Mar 4, 2018

I am sure everyone looks at different types of sales listings and the averages only tell part of the story

I have also notice many seemingly well priced watches languish here. There was an SM300 big triangle recently that sat and I think traded way below "collector" fair value

I have also started using no reserve ebay auctions. I am not sure I'd do that with a perfect watch but ultimately.. the market sets the price and the no reserve aspect seems to draw in a lot of bidders so things go for what they are ultimately supposed to

Faz and sxl2004 like this.
  19. Faz Mar 4, 2018

With regards to no reserve auction, I always have a starting bid of $0.01 when I sell on eBay. Although nerve racking, I never failed to achieve the price I wanted and more. This way you attract way more bidders..

20. sxl2004 Mar 4, 2018

Mostly agree, the operative words being: nerve wrecking.

:D