Forums Latest Members

Tough choice: Seamaster Diver 2018 vs Seamaster Diver previous model

1. borre Aug 6, 2018

I know I will buy a Seamaster 300 Diver (black one) :D
    But I'm not 100% sure yet what version: the new 2018 or the previous version ...

What I like about the new model:
    - 8800 cal
    - Update on the bracelet
    - See through case back

What I like about the previous model
    - Dial without waves

I tried the previous model in an Omega store, i didn't see the 2018 model yet in real life...
    Based on pictures and videos i slightly prefer the dial without waves... However, i fear to regret not having bought the latest and gratest after a couple of months (probable I will get used on those waves).

Any help you guys can give with my though choice? Are you making the same decision, what is is you choice?

2. sah Aug 6, 2018

There may be a price difference between the two, especially if you buy through one of the Omega Forum members (eg. mdgrwl). Personally, I would look at the two side by side to see which appeals more to me.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 6, 2018

Honestly ignore latest and greatest. Go with the one you like better. 5 years down the road they will be comparable in value.

Keep in mind the clear caseback can sometimes make the watch wear taller on your wrist. This has happened in other models that where “upgraded” with a clear caseback.

vitriol and sah like this.
  4. sah Aug 6, 2018

Plus I would miss my hippocampus...

vitriol, chanbar and Kraut783 like this.
  5. repoman Aug 6, 2018

FWIW, I'm opting for the new one... Waves or no waves is obviously a personal choice, but the rest of the new one is pretty impressive. In the metal, the deep black color against the intense bright white enamel elements is stunning. Plus you've got the master chronometer movement, improved crown/He elements, micro-adjustable bracelet, display back. I think the profile is a bit taller, but I found it worked just fine even with my sport coat on. I'm on the fence between blue and black.
    9B9CD2F8-825C-4362-92DC-29F57E392025.jpeg

6. aesguerra Aug 6, 2018

For me, I felt better opting for the previous model. I could do without the waves and preferred the solid case back.

But if it hasn't been said yet, I'd recommend going back to the Boutique, have em pull BOTH out, and then compare em in the flesh. That's what I did when I agonized over the SMPc vs AT150. Had a boutique take both out of the case and drape one over each wrist. Only then did I truly KNOW.

To steal that old car saying - "You don't choose the watch, the watch chooses you." ;)

Hope this helps.

Alex

242412BC-7191-40C7-8B84-C951E676255A.jpeg
    RMA, hmss007, KstateSkier and 4 others like this.
  7. ext1 Aug 6, 2018

I don't understand the need for a seethrough caseback on a dive watch. I think it goes against the aesthetics and philosophy of the 'tool-watch' era. Solid caseback all the way...

67ViP, JSal16 and Poppydog like this.
  8. larryganz The cable guy Aug 6, 2018

I guess Omega decided that the previous SMP version with glossy dial was too similar to the new Planet Ocean with glossy dial, and wanted to change things up.

But I'm still not completely sold on the new waves vs the old waves, nor all the bright white contrasting numerals in the bezel that makes it stand out so much. I prefer my old blue wave SMP to the newest ones, and maybe like the previous blue glossy SMP almost as much.

Perseus, aesguerra and sah like this.
  9. chanbar Aug 6, 2018

I like the waves, but I’m just not sure if I like the reese’s peanut butter cup style crowns on the new ones.

maine-iac1 likes this.
  10. sevykor Aug 6, 2018

Latest and greatest doesn’t apply when some SMP models are now iconic. Pick the one that speaks to you. As some suggested, trying them on is a must.

11. PeterT Aug 7, 2018

Yes, I have the same thoughts... really difficult to decide between the blue and black... Overall I think for me the black is the winner as the blue is a bit too harsh. I wish they would make it in the "PO blue" which is a bit darker than the one we see on the pictures for the new smp300. Anyway I need to see them fist to make the final decision... which might be a 39.5MM PO at the end as I have a small wrist.

But to try them on ... there's one BIIIG PROBLEM... when are they going to be available? I do not understand what the whole delay thing is all about....

Edited Aug 7, 2018
  12. PeterT Aug 7, 2018

I have the same dilemma what you have and I do not want to make your life even more complicated.... but I have a 3rd option as well... have you checked the 39.5 mm Planet Ocean? It's 8800, new bracelet, see through case back and dial without waves... :) So it's all your wish come true...

Of course it's more expensive.... but you don't buy a watch like this for a year or 2.

13. 67ViP Aug 7, 2018

Black w/2500D movement...it's a very elegant classic, and classic never goes out of style. The new version is just a little too busy for me, but I do like the two-tone blue & gold.

PSX_20180805_185214.jpg PSX_20180620_132042.jpg PSX_20180123_105608.jpg
    pault8084, Nobel Prize and Neyra like this.
  14. borre Aug 7, 2018

Tnx for you thoughts so far ;)

Agree, the previous version looks less 'busy', I do prefer the previous dial above the new one, but I like everyting else more on the new version
    Concerning the PO 39,5 alternative, I really don't like those arrow hands, actually I prefer the skeleton hands (am I the only one??)
    The new shape of the HE valve doesn't bother me too much...

Too bad I can't see the new one in the metal yet... I'll need some patience!

PeterT likes this.
  15. Perseus Aug 8, 2018

I think the new wave dial is polarizing out of the gate and I have a really hard time imagining the dial aging well.

16. Bushido Aug 8, 2018

I was lucky enough to be able to see and try on the new models at a boutique a couple of months ago. I walked away a big fan! I didn't find the waves detracting on the dial at all.

As a couple of others have suggested, wait to try them both on side by side and see which wins.

pkulak likes this.
  17. llvhhui Aug 8, 2018

New is always better.

18. PeterT Aug 9, 2018

Yes, you’re right, that’s my only fear as well regarding the new model. However as many guys say above, let’s see them live finally in the shops and then we’ll see how they really look. Pictures can be really misleading sometimes.

I narrowed down my choices to 2 models: the new black, or a 39.5 PO in blue. Whichever will have a better look & feel, that’s going to be the winner for me.

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 9, 2018

I tried this one at a boutique event. It’ll polarise opinion but at least it offers something genuinely new.

89B88AFB-4AAE-4F2D-BFEB-EDDD673CEBE4.jpeg
    I liked it on balance, but probably won’t be buying as I have rather done the whole SMP thing:

[​IMG]

PizGloria, Lou P, RMA and 5 others like this.
  20. vitriol Aug 9, 2018

What was improved in the crown and helium valve?