Forums Latest Members
  1. Chicagohifiaudio Jun 11, 2016

Hello!

My name is Scott, and I am a total noob when it comes to vintage and modern luxury pieces. I have a sizable watch collection, but my most valued watches are my grandfather's Seiko hand wind and a recent purchase - my Citizen Navihawk (one of my grails).

I have been talking with a gentleman who has described this vintage Omega (https://imgur.com/a/XXweA) as a "starter." I'm always ogling over vintage Omega's, but have never really had the budget to purchase the ones I was lusting for. This seems like a great deal, in my honest, uneducated opinion. But, I'd like to be sure that I'm making a smart purchase here.

Currently, I've provided a blind offer of $225 USD (includes shipping) which has been accepted. Is this a good deal? Did I make a stupid offer?

Information I know about the watch:
    -Ref. 14391-61
    -Cal. 268 (around 1961)
    -Unsigned crown
    -Unknown service history
    -Watch is keeping "good time" according to the seller

I am seeking your experienced input on whether this is a good purchase, and if I should get this serviced by Omega, or an independent watchmaker.

I really appreciate any insight or advice.
    -Scott

1eLJnNi.jpg vuLEcs0.jpg 7NBUPLS.jpg xFht5DA.jpg riX5HTA.jpg G8RFPlR.jpg lnHqQoY.jpg gQNILNc.jpg LtnOXj4.jpg 8fse8b0.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 11, 2016

Looks like the hands are correct, dial has some patina, gold cap appears to be damaged at the crown and on the lugs and the watch looks like it needs a service. You can find a much better example for what you're going to end up spending on this one.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 12, 2016

Movement has seen some moisture based on the corrosion on the screws. If the owner has no service history, can he tell you at least how long he has owned the watch?

4. cantinker Jun 12, 2016

I'm a noob looking at the photos on my cell phone so correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see a regulator index

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

ConElPueblo likes this.
  5. ConElPueblo Jun 12, 2016

Good call!

I'd give this a wide berth. Case + dial condition simply don't look attractive, on top of the mechanical issues.

6. cimo Jun 12, 2016

For $225 you really can't go wrong. I don't think you got taken necessarily. However it's likely you will have to have the movement serviced, which can add more to the cost.

The case is a little beat up, the dial seems to be original (but not mint). For the price you paid this is all relative. If you're truly not happy with it, would the seller take a return?

7. Cosd Jun 13, 2016

Isn't the regulator index pointing to the far left (9 O'clock) ?

8. ConElPueblo Jun 13, 2016

That's what left of the pointer - it has broken off.

9. Cosd Jun 13, 2016

Aha, thank you!!

10. baoquang Jun 13, 2016

broken regulator, that's from my first sight

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2016

This watch is a no go. It is not just the price, even at $100, this watch is a loser that will drain more than it will ever be worth.
    Far better investments out there. :thumbsup:

efauser likes this.