Forums Latest Members

Total Noob needs information please.

1. OttawaMan Jul 1, 2013

I'm trying to amass some details about my watch. I bought it for it's reputation, it's status, and quite honestly how it looked on my wrist. I don't know the first thing about movements or references etc. But I'd like to become more educated so I hang out here and soak in what I can. My watch is an SMP 300m with the ceramic bezel. 41mm size with the 'James Bond' bracelet.

According the 'extensive' documentation that came with the watch I've determined that it's an Omega. ;)

The website tells me the movement is a 2500 and the reference is 212.30.41.20.01.003. but I have heard something about a 2500D. I want to update my personal notes on this watch. How do I know if I have a 2500 or 2500D? (and what happened to A,B,C ?) I've already noticed that the bracelet doesn't have the ceramic beads for the diver's extension so a change was made there at some point as well. I see a reference on the bracelet that says 1515/816.

So I guess my questions are what can you tell me changed from 2500 to 2500D, which one do I have and what about the non-ceramic bead bracelet...is mine older or newer?

Thanks for everyone's assistance as always.

2. ulackfocus Jul 1, 2013

There are 4 versions of the 2500 - A, B, C, and D. Saying 'It has a 2500' is like saying 'That's a Ford Mustang'. Well, what model Mustang? A 6 cylinder, a 5.0 8 cylinder, a GT?

The A and B versions had a bph of 28,800 which is standard for the industry but didn't work with the modified co-axial escapement well. The C version had the bph lowered to 25,200 in an attempt to correct the problems but that didn't work so well either. In the D version, Omega used the co-axial in the way it was designed, meaning it worked on 3 planes instead of the modified 2 plane execution used in the A, B, and C versions. I think the D version was introduced in mid to late 2011.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 1, 2013

Well the differences between all the versions are quite extensive...to list a few:

Changes in beat rate as has been noted, then changes to the pallet fork bridge (beefing it up after version A), changing the length of the mainsprings (A and C use the same, but B has it's own, and D is also different from all the others), changing from straight to conical pivots on some parts for the C and D, changes in material of the intermediate escape wheel (and number of pinion leaves on this wheel also), even a change in how much you turn the adjustable masses on the balance wheel to make a given change in timing.

And finally change from 2 level design used in the A, B, and C, to the 3 level used in the D, which is the most important thing IMO.

The only way to know for certain is to look at the movement, and the version will be written on the movement plate. Some people have said there is a change in the font on the date wheel also, but I have not verified this information personally. The technical guide for the movement says A, B, and D all use the same date wheel part number, so the change in font is likely due to a change in supplier than anything else, so I would not say 100% that the font will tell you what movement you have.

If you PM me the serial number of your watch, I can look it up on the Omega Extranet and see if it specifies the exact version of the movement in your watch - sometimes it does and sometimes not.

Cheers, Al

4. OttawaMan Jul 1, 2013

PM Sent. Any additional info you might have based on serial as to manufactured date, maiden name of the watchmaker, foundry of the stainless steel...it all goes into my file. :)

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 1, 2013

Yeah...your expectations are a bit high there mate. However the serial number you sent me pulls up a 2500D movement, so based on the information I have, that's what is in your watch.

Cheers, Al

6. alam Jul 1, 2013

Al, good info as always :thumbsup: What's your opinion on the 2500D? A buy or hold? Im considering a 2220.80 (new) - does the model designation on these defines what's under the hood or a cross reference on SN is required for determination? My other contender is a PO, now--does the 8500 in the PO justifies the huge price difference between these two models? Thanks!

7. ulackfocus Jul 1, 2013

I know you asked Al, but in my highly biased opinion I'd say the 8500 is definitely worth it. It's no secret I had no love for the 2500 as I had issues with my old AT, and my new AT is keeping time within 10 seconds a month. Just grabbed it off the winder after not wearing it in a few days, and not checking it in a few weeks since hacking. It's off by a whopping 3 seconds. ::jumpy::

Yes, I know - it's only one watch sampling from each caliber. Check around though. There are very few complaint threads on the 8500 and most owners are bragging about the accuracy.

8. alam Jul 1, 2013

Thanks man! Your highly biased opinion is appreciated. Im more inclined to wait and go for the 8500 - the blue dial on the 2220.80 was the main criteria for its consideration...

9. ulackfocus Jul 1, 2013

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 2, 2013

I really have no strong opinion on the D, other than it is likely to be more reliable than the A, B, or C are.

The 8500 is a completely different movement, and has many differences from the 2500. They are not really comparable movements. If you know where many of the design elements come from and who was in charge when it was being developed, you will know why the movement is a departure from the others Omega has made in the past.

IMO the 8500 with Si balance spring is more likely to be a better timekeeper than a 2500 is. If it's "worth it" is not really a question I can answer as that is very subjective.

Cheers, Al

11. Timewarp2014 Apr 12, 2014

Hello Archer,

i had the exact same question - is it possible to know whether my 300m coaxial 212.30.41.20.01.003 has a Cal 2500C or 2500D inside ?

My watch number is: 86594947

sorry for bothering, but it will be great to know!

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 12, 2014

That serial number shows as a D version.

Cheers, Al

13. Timewarp2014 Apr 12, 2014

Thank you so much Al !

14. Billy Pilgrim Apr 12, 2014

Al,
    Would very much appreciate it if you would indulge me too ?
    My watch is Seamaster AT 2503.5000, number is 81867476.

Billy

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 13, 2014

That is a ref. 25035000 and has a 2500C according to the Extranet.

Cheers, Al