3. IWC Big Pilot

4. Breitling Navitimer

5. Rolex GMT

6. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

7. Rolex Daytona

8. Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso

9. Omega Ploprof

10. Cartier Americain Tank

Criteria for the abovementioned watches, all timepieces had to be iconic, affordable (less than 20K) by the average Joe, in current production and contributed to the field of horology. Disclaimer, I do not own a Rolex, albeit my next watch may be the new GMT. What’s your Top Ten?

Cheers,

Enezdez

2. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2013

Oh no. :(

MMMD likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

10's a bit long a list, but a Speedy, Sub and Piepan ranks my top 3 for now ;)

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

Not to be a spoiler, but I have never had a top ten, nor seen the need for it. The reason people are active in a forum such as the this is above the level of , "American Idol", so by any criteria I don't think you could truly establish one. The personal grail thread makes more sense to me. What are you current favorite three watches works too. The top ten?, no, even with just brands.

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

Personally I'd stick a Reverso in there somewhere, but it's a bit like debating the top 10 artworks of all time.

6. Spy You know my name. Jun 9, 2013

I think IWC's Aquatimer should be on that list. But a list of the top watches cannot include dress watches with sport watches imo. These are two seperate groups.

Billyp7718 likes this.
  7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 9, 2013

By your criteria - iconic, affordable, in current production and contributing to the field of horology - there might be a valid argument for placing the Casio G-Shock at the top of your list.

8. Spy You know my name. Jun 9, 2013

1. Rolex Submariner no date
    2. OMEGA Speedmaster "Moon Watch"
    2. Rolex Daytona
    3. IWC Aquatimer
    4. Blancpain Fifty-Fathoms
    5. OMEGA Seamaster
    6. Breitling Navitimer
    7. Rolex GMT
    8. Cartier Tank
    9. Patek Philippe Calatrava
    10. JLC Reverso

Honorable mention: Something from Seiko.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 9, 2013

Darn right. Agree fully - objective top ten? -an altogether unnecessary topic.

10. ulackfocus Jun 9, 2013

I need a top 20. Then next month, after I've bought and flipped a few because they didn't fit or I didn't like them as much as I thought, I'd need to be able to amend / revise the list. Then the next month.......

11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 9, 2013

I thought I had accidentally logged onto a Nick Hornby fan-fiction web site. Top 10 lists, WTF is that?

12. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 9, 2013

Well, at least the albino koala, harbinger of imminent thread-hijacking, hasn't appeared yet.

Uh-oh...

[​IMG]

13. deerworrier Jun 12, 2013

would you like this weeks top ten? what about last weeks top ten? i could even predict next weeks top ten!! point of this insane passtime is constant change for me, i love looking at all the shiny things until one cries "pick me" then i go looking for one to buy. i have a ploprof and a navitimer and they are both keepers for me (at the moment) i tried the iwc big pilot and couldnt see the attraction for the $ so bought a portofino and a longines instead......im wandering off:( anywho, top ten for me is a none starter but the g-shock has to be there and the fortis super compressor.

14. ulackfocus Jun 12, 2013

:p

I can tell you what I thought the Top 5 most influential calibers are:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/5-most-influential-important-automatics-428194.html

If extended to 10 then the probabilities include the El Primero, Valjoux 7750, Chronomatic caliber 11, Spring Drive, and Omega 55x/56x. Maybe even a few others had a shot too.

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 12, 2013

I can tell you that a list of the Top Ten Watches of All Time (as opposed to the Ten Top Watches of All Time) would have to start like this:

1. Casio F-91W

16. ulackfocus Jun 12, 2013

Wait, isn't that the terrorist watch?

Spy likes this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 12, 2013

Um...... yes, if you take all of the internet babble as gospel. But I'm sure any other cheap digital would do the same job.

As to its inclusion in the list, I know of no other watch that has been produced in such numbers and is available from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe and is probably worn by more people in the world than any other watch (terrywrists included).

18. ulackfocus Jun 12, 2013

Funny you've chosen those countries. I get the A to Z thing, but they both happen to be war torn nations with heavy ties to terrorists. Maybe a Freudian slip?

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 12, 2013

Yeah, I was thinking of the A to Z thing and just Googled "list of world countries".

I could've chosen other countries as examples, but when I started looking tat the list I just thought "Ah heck, it seems that nearly everywhere is in turmoil.

Funny how it turns out isn't it.

20. Spy You know my name. Jun 13, 2013