Forums Latest Members

Top 10 Reasons Why a New Homage Watch is Better than the Original Version

1. pdxleaf ... Dec 10, 2020

10. If you scratch a lug you haven’t lost $5K.

9. You don’t think about your watch every ten seconds when you wear it.

8. You can answer someone when they ask you what time it is after you gaze at your watch.

7. You don’t need to worry that you might have a franken watch.

6. It comes with box and papers for no extra fee.

5. When it says waterproof, it is really waterproof.

4. You can tell your collector friends that your new homage is a better value and then get a free one-hour lecture on the history of your watch without doing any research.

3. It’s like a really cheap restoration job from the vintage department at the factory. You get a new movement, new dial, new hands, new case and new bracelet all for half the cost.

2. You can buy an original vintage version and your significant other won’t ask if you bought a new watch when you wear it.

1. You can now wear your original vintage watch in public and not worry about being robbed because it looks like a beat up new watch.

MaiLollo likes this.
  2. M'Bob Dec 10, 2020

1. It will still be an homage watch.

apsm100, airansun, 77deluxe and 6 others like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 10, 2020

I’m going for both :D

4. JwRosenthal Dec 10, 2020

I totally get all the above- it’s nice to have a watch in the style of- but not have to deal with quirks of a vintage piece- no snobbery here. I had a few but I always coveted the vintage even while wearing the reissue or homage. I finally replaced my “new vintage” pieces with the real ones and am down to 2 left-and I rarely wear them- they will eventually be replaced by the real ones.

Dgercp likes this.
  5. Dgercp Dec 10, 2020

There are "homage" people and there are "original" people. No right, no wrong, just a great hobby.

Twocats, 77deluxe and Dan S like this.
  6. Canuck Dec 10, 2020

Another advantage of an “homage” watch, is that when you lose your arm, and your watch, to a machete wielding miscreant on the beach at Ipanema, you haven’t lost an important watch! ::rimshot::

kkt, KingCrouchy, apsm100 and 11 others like this.
  7. pdxleaf ... Dec 10, 2020

See #2. You can have both! ;)

wilderbeast likes this.
  8. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 10, 2020

8. You can answer someone when they ask you what time it is after you gaze at your watch

:D

pdxleaf likes this.
  9. Vintagewtchzilla Dec 10, 2020

can it run "crysis" ?

11. you can enjoy fauxina while knowing that your kids will not grow a 3rd arm cuz of the radium level in your flat

ZIELSZIEK, KingCrouchy, Eve and 2 others like this.
  10. 77deluxe Dec 10, 2020

Just wondering: is it better/ok to wear a homage if you own the original and don’t want to subject the original to damage, and feel that the homage is high quality without trying to fake the original (ie it’s not a counterfeit)? And is a defunct brand, resurrected/owned by a new owner, with no connection to the original brand a homage?

Edited Dec 10, 2020
  11. jsducote Dec 10, 2020

Let's not confuse an homage with a reissue. I don't object to a modern reissue, I own a modern Monaco and a FOIS, which I would argue is a reissue albeit not totally faithful to the original. Homage watches though, I dunno ... I just can't get behind the idea. I'm willing to accept that there are certain things (watches, cars, etc.) that I'll never own.

12. Vintagewtchzilla Dec 10, 2020

well said and sometimes the dream od something is more exciting than owning it in real

jsducote likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 11, 2020

apsm100 and Zapatta like this.
  14. pdxleaf ... Dec 11, 2020

"You say homage, I say reissue,
    Homage, reissue
    Reissue, homage!
    Let's call the whole thing off!"

Just meant to be add a little fun to our days. ;)

time flies likes this.