Forums Latest Members

Top 10 German Watch Brands In The USA

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 29, 2013

Below is an excerpt of the entire article on Fratellowatches. Click Top 10 German Watch Brands In The USA to read the entire article.
    [​IMG]

Every month my company Chronolytics sends out a newsletter to the watch industry, watch enthusiasts and press with some facts & figures on watch consumers and their 'behavior'. Today's newsletter is about the awareness of German watch brands by consumers from the USA. Based on IP-address and cookies, Chronolytics is able to track the on-line behavior of millions of watch enthusiasts on the largest watch market platform in the world. I thought it would be interesting to show how German watch brands are doing in the USA, as some of them are clearly trying (and with quite some positive results) to get a piece of the US market for (luxury) watches. Click this article to learn more about the Top 10 German watch brands in the USA.
    The post Top 10 German Watch Brands In The USA appeared first on Fratellowatches - Opinions on watches, watch reviews, watch stories & industry news.

2. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2013

Based on clicks? Well, obviously Lange is #1. Who doesn't drool over their stuff? Doesn't mean they're number one in ownership though because I never see one in the wild despite having an AD or two that carry them in Philly.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  3. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 29, 2013

Correct, my article is based on the share of interest it receives from visitors clicking a watch classified, not sales. The total number of unique visits to these ads were just above 70.000 in Q2 (visitors from the US clicking German watches for sale). With unique, we mean IP address + cookie to determine whether you are 1 person and only count your visit once every 30 minutes. I had to remove the idiots clicking ads 200 times an hour. ;)

It is interesting, as if I do this query for all brands (not only German) than price seems to be an important factor. To be honest, I didn't expect Lange to be on #1 as they are quite expensive (the average price of a queried watch is around 6K Euro). I would have expected a brand with watches in the more affordable segment to be on the 1st spot.

Oh btw, I rarely see Rolex watches in the wild here in The Hague despite being the no.1 most popular brand in The Netherlands and having a few dealers selling them ;-)

I also think it is interesting to see Sinn on that list.

Since this is an Omega forum, I think it would be nice to do something for Omegas as well and show it on this forum. Most clicked vintage Omega watches for example. I can do this per reference number.

4. Hijak Aug 29, 2013

Always been a fan of Jorg Schauer and Stowa, specifically their 1938 chronograph::love:: , Not on this list.:(

5. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2013

I did because there are a lot of dreamers out there. Lack of ::money:: but internet access and plenty of time in their dead end jobs. :p

Robert-Jan likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2013

I would say the top 4 are just as I would expect them to be. I would not have included Chronoswiss on that list personally...the one I have in my shop (damn POS that it is) clearly says "Swiss Made" on the dial. It uses a Swiss movement, so I'm not sure how much German content is in these watches....

Cheers, Al

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2013

That would be me - I don't drool over much that they make honestly. There are maybe 2 models that appeal to me in any way actually...

I feel much the same about Patek - they have little that really makes me want one - again maybe 1 or 2 current models. Vintage is another thing though...

Cheers, Al

Hijak likes this.
  8. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 30, 2013

Hi Al,

To my best knowledge, Chronoswiss watches are still being assembled in this city that belongs to Munich. Staff functions and management are relocated to Lucerne. It was a bit of a 'choice I had to make' regarding Chronoswiss and this list. I asked a few watch journalists that I know personally and they said it would be fair to include them, but with the side note that they are 'Swiss' owned since 2012.

On a personal note, I own a 1993 Chronoswiss Regulateur since 2000 or 2001 and love it but it is either in the safe or my wife is wearing it. The warranty card has been signed by Gerd R. Lang himself (with his 'green fountain pen' signature).

RJ

9. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 30, 2013

No, if you can keep this for yourself ;-) Jorg Schauer ended up 33rd in my list of 51 German brands and Stowa (also owned by Schauer) a 14th spot. It doesn't say anything about the quality of the brand of course, just about awareness amongst US consumers and 'demand' for these brands.

RJ

10. Hijak Aug 30, 2013

I understand your survey and list were about the popularity of German brands in the US...Its just sad to see such a quality company so far down on that list...:(

I think it says something about the average US consumer and brand recognition VS quality.;)

::love::this
    Stowa Chronogragh 1938.jpg
    This is a brass embossed, then painted dial that is then diamond cut . Those are not applied numbers...that's the brass coming through::love::

11. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 30, 2013

I love the style of Stowa's marine chronograph with blued steel hands, but it's so freakin' huge...(but then again, there's really no way for me to try one on first, since they're made to order, so maybe I'm wrong).

[​IMG]

12. Hijak Aug 30, 2013

:cool: They are a 41mm case size, not too big, but it is mostly dial so it may wear large...38mm case might be more ideal.

13. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2013

38mm or even 36mm would be much better for a normal person, esp. as there are no tachymetre or telometre scales to read. I would have bought one by now.