Forums Latest Members
  1. kimchismell Jul 30, 2015

Hello everyone. I appreciate the help and guidance all of you have selflessly provided already. It's in my nature to take things apart and put them back together. Whether it is cars or electronics, I enjoy it.

My plan is to learn to service and repair mechanical watches. Are there any recommended tools and brands of tools I should purchase? I see numerous kits on Amazon and EBay for $15 from China, but are these kits high enough quality for a hobbyist? Any help it's appreciated.

2. redpcar Jul 30, 2015

These tools would be equivalent to buying tools from Harbor Freight to fix your car. Don't go cheap on a case wrench. Screw drivers are a personal preference but be sure you get some sort of dremel tool to keep them sharpened and sized. Tweezers are important so try to get decent models in addition to the cheapies that come with the kit. The case knives that come in the kits are junk. Don't even try to use them. Get some small Swiss Army knives. In addition, get some safety razors to assist with the snap cases. Purchase Rodico from the net. This will help you to clean and hold precious parts safely.

As you progress with your hobby, you will realize you need more tools as you go. The best way to start is to watch repair videos on line and see what they use. You also get a feel of how to handle and install the parts.

Have fun.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 30, 2015

4. wsfarrell Jul 30, 2015

Depending on your proclivities, I might recommend whetstones for sharpening/reconfiguring screwdrivers, tweezers, and the like. They're easier to control than a Dremel.

5. redpcar Jul 30, 2015

But not as fast as a diamond disc ;)

6. kimchismell Jul 30, 2015

PROCLIVITIES...

1. Never challenge wsfarrell to a game of Words With Friends.
    2. Anxiously wait for the first opportunity to use proclivity in a sentence among peers.

wsfarrell likes this.
  7. wsfarrell Jul 31, 2015

Wise words....
    meatier.jpg

Archer likes this.