Forums Latest Members

Tools or methods to remove a fused springbar?

1. R3D9 Mar 8, 2018

I received a new vintage watch purchase in the mail today and when trying to remove the metal bracelet I discovered one of the springbars is stuck and will not come off.

I tried carefully for about a half hour - and what a fun half hour it was, let me tell you ::censored:: - and other than destroying the fork end of my Bergeon tool, I got absolutely nowhere.

I’m hoping for suggestions as to how to remove it.

I’ve read on past threads that cutting it off may be the best option, but the opening is quite small to access the springbar through the endlinks of the bracelet. Is there a specific type of snips that anyone can recommend?

I’ve also read suggestions to try using WD-40 to see if I can loosen the inside of the springbar, but on a 50-year old watch that seems like a dicey proposition given a likely lack of waterproofness.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  2. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 8, 2018

Great thread R3D9.

Last watch I bought had a stretch band with too big bars and I had to cut the band and bars to remove them, but clearly that's not an option here.

Aside from using a cutting broach which is thin enough to get into the tight space of the end link and bar I can't offer any good advice.

3. R3D9 Mar 8, 2018

Appreciate the feedback! May I ask what a cutting broach is?

Here’s a photo of the bracelet for anyone wanting to see it:

A02E5814-B120-44A7-9130-73A84831091D.jpeg

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 8, 2018

Rather than spraying the WD40, you could try applying a couple of drops with a needle or something similar.

Mark020, Vitezi and R3D9 like this.
  5. redpcar Mar 8, 2018

Spray some solvent into a very small container (WD40 or whatever), dip your spring bar tool into the solvent then touch it to the spring bar. Transferring the oil to the spring bar only. The oil will disperse. Repeat for a couple of days while still trying to compress the bar. If nothing moves after a few days, then resort to trying to remove by force.
    When all fails, I sharpen a cheap screwdriver (smallest size for watches) and attack the joint that is supposed to compress by prying apart the metal (on the spring bar). Eventually, you will be able to compress the bar or literally break it in two.
    $.02

Looneytoons, Vitezi, oddboy and 2 others like this.
  6. wsfarrell Mar 8, 2018

Looks like the "end link" could be pried open, giving you much better access to the spring bar. Not sure if you want to save the bracelet or not; this method could make it hard to salvage.

R3D9 likes this.
  7. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 8, 2018

A cutting broach is a jeweler/watchmaker's tool. It's a very thin file usually round. There are cutting and smoothing broaches and come in various sizes and cutting profiles:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/broaches-cutting

Another option might be to try and open up the rear flap on the end link enough to remove it from the spring bar but that does risk deforming the end link. Whoops, wsfarrell beat me to it :)

And a real last resort option is to put something between the case and end link and pry the end link outwards deforming the spring bar enough to break it off but that also risks damaging the end link and possibly the case between the lugs.

R3D9 likes this.
  8. R3D9 Mar 8, 2018

I’d considered that as a possibility but it would be the nuclear option. While the bracelet just barely doesn’t fit my wrist, it would someone with 7” wrists or so, so still potentially useful down the road.

9. ICONO Mar 8, 2018

Get a Dremel on the job !

( & get to discover the colour of Adrenaline…… )

R3D9 likes this.
  10. Davidt Mar 8, 2018

I've had a few watches recently that have been convered in grime and dirt and the springbars did not want to come out. However, even if it took a while, I've never had a pair that didn't eventually come out.

I've ended up breaking a couple of brass bars in the past, which left the pins in the lugs which then required drilling out, but that's about as bad as I've had.

R3D9 likes this.
  11. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Mar 8, 2018

I’ve seen a type of saw whose cutting surface resembles dental floss that my watchmaker used to get in between the end link and the case to cut the spring bar. I’m unsure as to exact name of the tool but obviously you have to take care not to damage the watch.

R3D9 likes this.
  12. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 8, 2018

Forget wd40 it is not meant for this. Use a penetrating oil PB Blaster, kroil etc. Time is your friend here.

13. FREDMAYCOIN Mar 8, 2018

Just make sure it’s not military issue with fixed spring bars. I learned that one the hard way.

14. R3D9 Mar 8, 2018

Thanks everyone - not fun when you can’t wear your new watch :(

Pending any other suggestions - I’ll wait a bit and see - I may try careful application of WD-40 as @redpcar suggested.

::facepalm1::

15. R3D9 Mar 8, 2018

Saw this after my last post. Will look into that option as well.

16. R3D9 Mar 8, 2018

Haha! Got that one covered as the first one came out with no trouble

Mark020 likes this.
  17. Kmart Mar 8, 2018

Also it would be a bit difficult to install a bracelet on a watch with fixed spring bars.

tyrantlizardrex and R3D9 like this.
  18. Seacow Mar 8, 2018

If you are a handy man and fearless. you can try to use a very small drill bit and drill at the pin to remove some material and then use a small file to remove more until you can just pull the pin broken.

Capture.JPG
  19. R3D9 Mar 8, 2018

This definitely looks like the most fun option.;)

Vercingetorix likes this.
  20. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 8, 2018

If you are handy pull the movement and dunk the case in an ultrasonic.

WhatYourWatchSay and R3D9 like this.