Forums Latest Members
  1. M'Bob Nov 2, 2022

Any thoughts on a decent quality, not prohibitively expense, general, all purpose watchmaker’s tweezer for a hobbyist? I see a number #2 is often suggested, but beyond that, any details would be appreciated.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 2, 2022

For general purpose work, I use Bergeon bronze tweezers. The specific one I use is 1065-B5D...

Pun, KarlB, Eve and 2 others like this.
  3. Eve Nov 2, 2022

I like the Dumont No.2 tweezers for general purporse.
    If you take care of them, proper tweezers will last you a long time and are a pleasure to work with. I would spend 20-30 € more but have a quality tool, rather than buying crappy tweesers.

Edited Nov 2, 2022
    M'Bob likes this.
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 2, 2022

Quality doesn't cost, it pays.

5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 3, 2022

Any album really…Lateralus, Ænema, 10000 days and Fear Innoculum are all amazing…

:whistling:

Joe K., KLXN, SC1 and 5 others like this.
  6. Deafcon Omega Qualified Nov 4, 2022

I’m with Al on those bronze tweezers. They have a better feel than brass tweezer but still are safer to use than steel ones.

M'Bob likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 4, 2022

It depends on what you intend to work with.

My day to day tweezers are a pair of Dumont bronze No4 and a pair of Titanium tweezers. I prefer bronze over steel, I think it gives a better grip, no idea why. The Ti ones have a nice feel as well.

IMG_1698.JPG

When choosing, the feel of the tweezers is important.
    If the squeeze feel is too strong, you tend to exert more pressure than need to hold the object, often resulting in pinging it into outer space.
    The smaller the object, the softer the feel should be so that you aren't squeezing, simply picking up and holding.
    A bit hard to explain, but if you get a selection of tweezers it will become obvious.

And speaking of a selection..........

IMG_1700.JPG

rendo, M'Bob and WestCoastTime like this.
  8. noless Nov 5, 2022

My main has become a Regine eagle beak in brass 7A,

I have also come to really prefer brass over steel, I made the swap out of the fear of scratching parts, but in the end I stayed cause the feel is different.

I should try to get my hands on a bronze pair to see the difference, but I noticed that this particular Regine pair is a lot stronger than my other brass straight tweezers which I need to straighten and sharpen a lot more regularly.

Edited Nov 5, 2022
    M'Bob and JimInOz like this.