Forums Latest Members
  1. bags1971 Jun 7, 2018

felt brave today and fitted the correct spear chrono

note it is centered its the angle

Just waiting for the DON to turn up

IMG_2885.JPG
    gemini4, Kmart, wsfarrell and 9 others like this.
  2. BatDad Jun 7, 2018

Nice! Did it all go to plan, or were there any brown trousers moments?

Seaborg and bags1971 like this.
  3. bags1971 Jun 7, 2018

Wasn't as bad as I thought to do its the lining up which I found hard

BatDad likes this.
  4. wsfarrell Jun 7, 2018

A feeling of great satisfaction, yes?

5. MCC Jun 7, 2018

Well done, there is no way I would have been so brave. I know my limits and frequently fail to reach them !!

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 8, 2018

Hello @bags1971 - can I ask if you supported the jewel in the chronograph bridge while you pressed the hand on?

If not (and for others who may be inclined to do this) just be aware that when pressing on all hands, but chronograph hands in particular that tend to be fitted very tightly to their posts, it's important to support the jewel opposite the hand.

The pressure exerted when pressing a hand on can actually move jewels in some cases, but with the chronograph bridge on the 321 or 861/1861 family, I often see bent bridges where people have pressed the hand on without any support. Note that in the photo below you can see an angle between the underside of the bridge and the cam on the chronograph recorder wheel near the red arrow:

[​IMG]

And here with the bridge back level...

[​IMG]

The bridge being bent like it is in that first photo can cause various problems with the function of the chronograph, so supporting this spot when pressing on a hand is always an important step. Ideally you would want to use a proper movement holder that has adjustable supports in it when pressing hands on, like this one that is specifically for the 321/861 series:

[​IMG]

You can see the supports through the slot in the side of the holder.

But failing that you could use a staking set and support the bridge with a stump while pressing the hand on with a punch. Of course in doing all this you don't want to disturb the lubrication in that jewel, or scratch the movement up...

Although this seems like a simple job, sometimes it's best left to a watchmaker if you don't have the proper tools.

Cheers, Al

jlafou1, murph, Kmart and 5 others like this.
  7. bags1971 Jun 8, 2018

Hi archer

No I didn’t I just pressed it gently on

8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jun 8, 2018

As components age, it is important to have a hand sometimes supporting your jewels. Or is it the other way around :D

murph, ewand and M'Bob like this.