Forums Latest Members
  1. AJDay Feb 7, 2014

This watch popped up as a BIN on ebay and was the typical story: seller with no feedback, poor pictures, no movement shot, etc. But the dial looked good, I could see the lugs looked a little polished and the back was mutilated by someone trying to open it. But, I thought it was worth a shot at a decent price and scooped it up soon after it was listed.

Got it today and the dial looks good; case not too bad; sets, winds and runs smoothly; keeping time; and the movement looks relatively clean, except it looks like the rotor is scraping the case back a little. I also think they're onyx markers?

I think it's worth a full servicing (including ditching the cyclops crystal, polishing out the scratches on the back a bit, and getting a signed crown).

Any thoughts on value once fully serviced? Want to make sure it's somewhat economical...

Thanks!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG

2. rolexfantastic Feb 7, 2014

Nice looking watch.. a keeper.
    The back can be refinished. If the scratches are not extremely deep, it might not involve material loss.

3. ulackfocus Feb 7, 2014

The keys to value on the dog leg lug Constellations are the dial, the lug facets, and the medallion. Your dial shows a little spotting, but not terrible. The lugs aren't terrible, and the medallion is good. The replacement crown on it now is icky so get the newer 10 sided Ω logo version - it's a little taller than the originals but still available (unlike the original). I'm wondering why the bridge has some scrapes on it. Was it a careless watchmaker or is the rotor causing it?

All in all, once properly serviced and cleaned up it's worth at least a grand ($1000). The best of these 16x.005's sell for quite a tidy sum because collectors want the primo condition pieces. One of the regular vintage Omega members sold a cross hair dial mint 168.005 a year and a half ago for $1500 so imagine what they're bringing now.

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 7, 2014

A 168005 gold capped with cross hair + onyx markers in perfect condition can reach 2K I guess.

[​IMG]

Anybody wanna sell ? ;)

5. AJDay Feb 7, 2014

Thanks, I'll definitely get it serviced.

Will have to move out a couple watches to fund this purchase and the servicing per my agreement with the Mrs.

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 7, 2014

Is this one of them?
    [​IMG]
    I actually scoured your posts looking for a Speedy 321, but didn't see one :(

7. AJDay Feb 7, 2014

No, that one gets way too much love / wrist time. And, unfortunately, I don't have a Speedy yet...

I'm thinking my Seamaster unishell and/or black dial bumper automatic:

(no good pics of either right now, the first was taken just before midnight on my train ride home from work, as the date was about to change, it does align properly in the window normally...)

IMAG0109.jpg

DSC03051.JPG

supersimon likes this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Feb 7, 2014

BACK OF THE LINE BUDDY! :)

It's funny how many times I've "rotated stock," or sold off when new arrivals landed. But the "sell-offs" seemed to always be ones I was bored with, not just for funds recovery.

Call it "Watch Collection Natural Selection."