Forums Latest Members
  1. BvdP1965 Mar 11, 2019

Hi all,

I am not very experienced yet, but I serviced (cleaned/oiled) a 564 and cannot get it running faster than -/- 30 s/d.
    The amplitude is about 220 degrees (measured at 49 degrees lift angle), both in dail up and down and drops 20 degrees in all vertical positions. The beat error is 0.1ms and it runs very regularly/smooth, no matter in what position.

In the fastest position of the swan neck, it is still -/- 30 s/d.
    I realize that the amplitude is not very high, but even with 220 degrees I expected it could be able to run faster than this.

Can anyone give me some good advice what to investigate?

Thanks!
    Bo

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 11, 2019

Amplitude is too low, so the movement still has issues clearly. Until you get a good amplitude, trying to regulate the rate is pointless.

I would take it all apart again, use a new mainspring, check all the train wheels for wear, make sure the barrel bridge bushing isn't worn (or the main plate) which can lead to the barrel tilting inside the movement and causing drag. Use all the proper lubricants, and see if the amplitude improves.

If it does, note that the regulator can be moved directly - the swan neck is only for fine adjustments.

Cheers, Al

3. BvdP1965 Mar 11, 2019

Thanks for your advice. I ordered a new mainspring and will service it again. I keep you informed!

wsfarrell likes this.
  4. Chewbakkka Mar 11, 2019

On top of that, it is normal that the amplitude drops about 20° in vertical position than in horizontal as the axis has more friction in vertical position.

5. BvdP1965 May 31, 2019

I finally found something that caused a serieus drop in amplitude:
    The setting lever spring was a little bend where it holds the minute wheel in place. In stead of just holding it in place, it slowed it down too and that caused about 50 degrees less amplitude!

wsfarrell and Archer like this.