Forums Latest Members
  1. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 15, 2014

Watch went from $220 to $685 in 2 seconds.
    I came up short.
    Was factoring in possibly needing a new case,
    new crown, crystal and service. Too rich for me.
    If it's going to be a project, I want to buy it right.
    Great dial and movement though.
    Oh well...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swiss-OMEGA...ks-K-/301206709331?#viTabs_0&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 15, 2014

I saw that but they don't ship to Australia... hate when that happens, I realise we were a nation of criminals but that was like 200 years ago, most of us behave these days.

Fritz, Issing, ron n and 4 others like this.
  3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 15, 2014

Lost this one as well :(

4. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 15, 2014

It looked scary from this view.
    But there was a 14 day return.
    I was hoping it was just crud.
    [​IMG]

5. pascs Jun 15, 2014

Luckily I have US, UK and German shipping addresses so its easy for me to pick up items off ebay who dont ship worldwide, not that I would have bid on that Seamaster as its way too small for me :)

citizenrich likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 16, 2014

There are members in the US who can assist with circumventing this hurdle I'm sure. :cool:

Just set your delivery address to your "contact" and hope that they don't like it more than you do! :D

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 16, 2014

I watched that movie "The Shooter" the other day. It was so bad it was good.

You could drive an 18 wheeler through the plot holes yet they only seemed to make it all the more enjoyable.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 16, 2014

That's what I call "off on a tangent" post

motivator1488197.jpg

TLIGuy, MikiJ and citizenrich like this.
  9. cristos71 Jun 16, 2014

In the last three years I think I have bought maybe 7-10 watches from Ebay, in the years before it was more like 10-12 per year and pretty much everything I wanted to find could be found there.

It´s not that I´m buying a lot less watches, it´s just that I don´t see much good stuff on Ebay these days. I think a lot of the better pieces that used to be found on Ebay are now being sold elsewhere and also the amateur/novice/inheritance sellers seem to have wizened up and learnt to do a lot more due diligence before bringing a watch to market.

Just by taking this forum as an example that can clearly be seen with the amount of Newbie, "What have I got here and how much is it worth" kind of posts.

When I started collecting 11 years ago it was by trial and error with my research for an Ebay auction being slowly done over the course of a 7 day auction, these days a quick question on a forum by a newbie and an answer based on years of collective research and knowledge can be had within seconds.That knowledge is then also available indefinitely to everybody else who knows how to Google.

For me a great part of my enjoyment of this hobby has been the slow build of knowledge, experience and understanding that only comes with putting the hours in over the years. Starting back then with watches from between 50 and 150 euros and gradually upgrading over time.

The price of anything decent is also on the rise and with the amount of time and energy that has to be put in for a ´bargain´ seeming to negate any kind of monetary savings made I now find most of my watches elsewhere.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 16, 2014

It worked before mid 2013, but since then if you want to pay via Paypal (which means extra protection), you can not do that anymore. You have to 'borrow' our friend's ebay and paypal account to be delivered in that country.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

That just looks like an incompletely closed case back with a rubber gasket showing through. This case is a tad larger than the typical 2577 case of these bumper seamaster chronometres.

citizenrich likes this.
  12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

No longer a nation of criminals! But in an interesting position going forward - strategically aligned with the west but dependent on China for trade (40% of Australia's exports goes to China).

13. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 16, 2014

No longer a nation of criminals? Hey Aussies - did the government steal any of your bank accounts? Hahaha

if Canada and Australia merged into a single non contiguous nation, I'm pretty sure they'd rule the world. Canada is white hot right now. I read somewhere that the average Canadian is worth 40mm (that's million) if you took the current value of land and commodities and divided by population. Lol!!! 40 mill!

Australia is up there as well - ahead of the United States per capita but less aggregate. Something like 8 or 9mm versus 4 to 5mm. Our respective forefathers planned well. The Louisiana and Gadsden Purchases were made with railroad expansion in mind but they wound up purchasing some of the most resource rich land in the world....

14. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 16, 2014

Right, I was worried about the rusty color around the crown
    and case to lug edge.

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

I think that's all gunk that will clean up. And as you said there is always the return option.

16. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 16, 2014

i'm sensing a buy :)
    ...and i think you're right that it will clean up.:)

17. lando Jun 16, 2014

Strange, I am still buying with my accounts (eBay + PayPal) and shipping to an address of a third party. Still works great.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

It may be that we're strategically aligned with the west, but Australia has always had very strong relationships with Asia, we now have free trade agreements with Malaysia, Japan and South Korea in addition to negotiations continuing with China.

20 years ago being strategically aligned with the west could have been seen as a threat by China but in 2014 it could even be seen as an opportunity. This article is particularly interesting: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-could-train-in-australia-20140412-36jsx.html

Xi Jinping accepted an invitation to address Australia's parliament later in the year. But more significant was the aim of joint military co-operation and activities. It could well be that we have Chinese troops training in the north of Australia, where US marines are already stationed.

19. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jun 16, 2014

You've also got everybody in Hong Kong with a British passport getting the hell out of china before 2017, and taking their money with them... probably most of them to Australia because of its proximity. I believe getting a resident visa is pretty difficult in oz but easier (???) than the US.

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

I'm all for snipers. It makes eBay into a sealed bid auction. You bid your best price and others will do the same. Someone wanted that piece more than you did, and they "put their money where their mouth is". (Old American saying).

An hour's work with a Blitz cloth, some high grit sandpaper for the crystal and Polywatch and that watch may resell for four figures.

Remember that Seamaster Chronometers are far rarer than Constellations. Collectors generally prefer stainless steel to gold-capped or plated.

I think someone got a bargain. Should have been you.

Might have been me, if I had seen it. ;)
    gatorcpa

Spacefruit and citizenrich like this.