Forums Latest Members

Tokyo/Kyoto/Oahu - Honeymoon Suggestions

1. sjg22 Jan 7, 2018

I’ve just booked my honeymoon for April 11th-April 27th, flying from Toronto to Tokyo for 4 days, staying in a traditional ryokan for 2 days, Kyoto for 4 days then flying back with a 4 and a half day layover on Oahu in Hawaii. Tail end of cherry blossom season.

Looking for any and all suggestions for these locations. I’ve got AMEX concierge on the case as well, but it’s been a challenge already getting reservations at restaurants in Tokyo, particularly well known sushi spots (most of which require you to book via your hotel, which I haven’t booked yet or even require a referral from a regular customer!!).

I’ve got the ryokan figured out and the hotel for Kyoto (Westin Miyako) - I doubt we’ll be in the room as much in Tokyo so looking for something nice but not exceptional (no need for the Park Hyatt or Four Seasons).

Any restaurant, hotel, itinerary or vintage watch shop suggestions :) - Oahu as well if we have any Hawaiians aboard OF.

2. sgrossma Jan 7, 2018

I stayed at the Cerulean Tower in Shibuya two years ago and thought it was a great value. Nice room, amazing views, central location, and near the train station.

sjg22 likes this.
  3. TheCaptainOfTech Jan 8, 2018

For watch shops Jackroad is a nice place to go too. Komeyho is a second hand store which has a pretty large selection of watches. They also have a large section of clothes purses for ladies. Food wise Shinagawa is a nice area lots of little streets. What I usssuly is go down the smallest ally, Japan is really safe by the way. And see who's lying outside if they do so it's a good spot. If your looking for nightlife go to Ginza. Lots to do Kyoto is famous for their temples and shrines. There also famous for a tofu meal which is an entire meal made from tofu. If you have the chance go to Nara it isn't very far from Kyoto and there famous attraction is a deer park. Skipping Osaka? It's nickname is the nations kicken :)

sjg22 likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 8, 2018

Honeymoon. OK, I got that bit.

Eating out? Vintage watch shops?

Things have sure changed so much since my day.

:D

CdnWatchDoc, sjg22, Toishome and 2 others like this.
  5. SeanO Jan 8, 2018

Grand Seiko Boutique in Ginza seeing as you're in Tokyo.

sjg22 likes this.
  6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 8, 2018

Why the hell are you getting married, in the first place? Then, as @JimInOz alluded to, why the hell are you leaving your room?

sjg22 likes this.
  7. Gstp Jan 8, 2018

I highly recommend Hotel Gracery, Shinjuku, nice hotel in colourful location close to the train and metro hub that is Shinjuku station. But I never been on honeymoon ( she just moved in and stayed) so I have no idea what kind of accomodation one is looking for then.

sjg22 likes this.
  8. jumpingsecond Jan 8, 2018

Kids Nowadays the honeymoon part is what determines if there's even a 1st date ::bleh::

sjg22 likes this.
  9. menacing Jan 8, 2018

Not a resident, but have spent a number of weeks on Oahu and have a few suggestions.

Check out Okonomiyaki Chibo in Waikiki, in the Royal Hawaiian Center. Their signature dish, Okonomiyaki is outstanding. http://www.chibohawaii.com/
    Hula Grill is pretty good http://www.hulagrillwaikiki.com/
    A luau can be a fun experience, if you haven't been to one before.
    Wailana Coffee House for breakfast.

Hilton Hawaiian Village is a great hotel and location jump point for all sorts of activities.
    If car rental is an option, a couple short day trips - North Shore and Halona Blowhole to name a couple. If you don't want to drive, I'm sure you could find relatively cheap tours.
    Nightlife in Waikiki can be a bit touristy, but definitely worth checking out. It may or may not be your thing, but there are lots of options, so I'm sure a couple newly weds can have fun.

Have a great time!

sjg22 likes this.
  10. duc Jan 8, 2018

Try Buzz's over in Kailua for a great casual dinner after a day at the beach.

sjg22 likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 8, 2018

I would only be on Oahu long enough to get on a plane to the Big Island...

sjg22 likes this.
  12. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 8, 2018

A trip to the Arizona and Pearl Harbor is a moving, worthwhile experience.
    On Waikiki Beach, Lunch at Duke’s and watching the surfers is a fun time.

sjg22 likes this.
  13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 8, 2018

I would also recommend a visit to Tripler Army Hospital to see where I was born.

sjg22 and gemini4 like this.
  14. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 8, 2018

Sounds like another of those Sketchie Hawaiian Birth Certificates.
    Like “Fill In Yourself” blank watch warranty cards.
    ::bleh::

sjg22 likes this.
  15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 8, 2018

I was born first. Mine's real.

sjg22 likes this.
  16. sjg22 Jan 8, 2018

Thanks for the suggestions! Really excited to visit Japan - first time in the East for me.

The Gracery Shinjuku was high on my list so glad it was mentioned.

Been to Duke’s when I was in Honolulu 15 years ago - glad it’s as cool a view as I remembered it.

Arbitro likes this.
  17. strick9 Jan 8, 2018

My suggestion would be not to get married ::rant:

efauser likes this.
  18. sdre Jan 8, 2018

Come to Singapore! Hot and humid, plenty of modern Rolexes :p haha

19. Moadib Jan 9, 2018

Congrats, and wish you both all the best. Oahu I don't know, but spent a lot of time in Tokyo and Kyoto.

Tokyo
    - As mentioned, Jack Road and Betty Road. If staying in Shinjuku Chuo line rapid will have you at Nakano in a few minutes. North exit and five minutes walk through the mall. Several watch stores in that mall, with Jack (mens) and Betty (ladies) Road being the main
    - Before you leave Shinjuku, plenty of shops around. East side has main boutiques like Isetan (high end watches) and second shops like Komehyo (lovely Tiffany Patek when I was there last month). East side has many watch shops (GMT, Lemon etc)
    - If in Roppongi area and your wife likes cake, Toraya is superb. Cakes are different there than at other Toraya stores in Tokyo, and really excellent. Lunch is nice too.
    - Sounds like you might be a bit late for cherry blossom in Tokyo, but if you catch it Ueno Park is fun place to gather.
    - If you're able to arrange it, sushi bar 'Kanesaka' in Ginza is superb.
    In general Tokyo literally has something for everyone. Whatever you like, Tokyo will cater to that, the range of food, stores, special interest places and such like is like nowhere else I've been. If something specific you or your wife are looking for, someone can point you toward it. Want a restaurant where the restaurant contains a huge boat sitting in water, you fish from your table over the side for your meal and then the restaurant prepares it? Yes, Tokyo has it.

Kyoto
    More of temples and culture. Preferences really depend on individual likes, but my own favourites have been Ryoanji, Kiyomizudera, Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji. Just walking around Kyoto is very enjoyable. Weather here can be really hot - the city sits in a bowl, and so is much warmer than surrounding areas. April should be fine though.

20. Dre Jan 9, 2018

Went to this beautiful Ryokan in Kawaguchiko that has private onsen last year. You can go there from Tokyo otw to Kyoto, or the other way around. All photos taken by me.

1309334F-7570-43A7-B59F-E265C48B92A4.jpeg 5568D856-E356-40D5-B58C-BE3CCFB2333F.jpeg B5876233-C622-4E36-BB35-4FADE5DBD980.jpeg 126B13C6-6593-4BA2-9097-DDC93FF110BB.jpeg F6FDBC90-6214-44C1-A66E-8E47607A2D70.jpeg

Moadib and duc like this.