Forums Latest Members

Today while opening a caseback, a part jumped out...hmm

1. ClarendonVintage Feb 26, 2018

So today I was feeling particularly dexterous and decided to open up the case back of a vintage watch with a small scissor. I usually get a watchmaker to do it but I thought I could do a bit of practice.

Opened up, movement looks clean despite its age and obvious surrounding degradation... and...a screw? fell out.

20180226_232434.jpg
    (P.S if anyone can identify what movement this is?)
    20180226_232631.jpg

I am guessing the screw belongs to the hole above the word 'Swiss', or the hole on the upper most right corner? Would there be any effect on the running of the movement?

Although, the watch is running well and keeping time. Would be interesting to hear the views of people familiar with movements :)

Caliber561 and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 26, 2018

The screw is for retaining the movement, same as the one on the opposite side.

Looks like an AS1130 movement.

Jwit, bardamu, Caliber561 and 5 others like this.
  3. Sublime_1 Feb 26, 2018

upload_2018-2-26_17-59-46.png

This would be my guess...but I know very little about these matters.

Caliber561, BenBagbag, pippy and 2 others like this.
  4. GuiltyBoomerang Feb 26, 2018

For next time, if you don't have a reliable blade, a thin scalpel/craft blade will do the trick. @Archer would advise that you only use it to prop the caseback up and gently work it around the case, rather than 'levering' it as some people tend to do.

There's no hole above the word 'Swiss' unless you're referring to the one near the click. It would be, as @JimInOz has stated, one of the two retaining screws that holds the movement to the case. This could spell trouble particularly if you notice that the movement moves around in the watch while you're wearing it...

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  5. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2018

Known as a case screw or more old school call them dog screws.

Bill

George.A, BenBagbag, pippy and 2 others like this.
  6. ClarendonVintage Feb 26, 2018

I am hoping the movement is still secure, I picked up the watch and moved it and haven't heard any audible creaking yet haha

Just did a google on the movement. Seems like an army watch movement

When I observe the caseback there was a small crack which I guess must be from the frequent openings in the past. So I followed along. To be fair I was very rough and my blade might have stabbed the movement, if that makes sense.

7. pippy Feb 26, 2018

8. 77deluxe Feb 26, 2018

Quick. Put it back inside and close up the case!

ulackfocus and kkt like this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 27, 2018

ulackfocus and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. Bumper Feb 27, 2018

I stabbed myself in the hand about 11 years ago, no screws dropped out, but a brick might have....

ClarendonVintage likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 27, 2018

That is not a dog screw, no matter how old you are...

12. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2018

really that is what my old watchmaker called them...... He was famous... he was listed as an authroized Omega Service center in the 1960s thru 1980s

BIll

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 27, 2018

Uhhh okay...but it's still not a dog screw. Here is what a dog screw looks like:

[​IMG]

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of dog screw
    : a screw with an eccentric head or with one side of its head removed that is used for attaching a watch in a case

The screws above are just regular case screws.

Cheers, Al

14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2018

well.... Al...... he refereed to all case screws as dog screws....

I am not going to argue with him now as he is like 83

Best

bill

15. trackpad Feb 27, 2018

@Archer Any idea why the head would have been eccentric – is this another way of saying proprietary? This would make sense, a screw that was difficult to turn without tools of an authorized watchmaker. And what is the functional purpose of a half-head screw? What's the deal with these? Also, why do I care???
    100% correct.

16. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2018

Oh i can answer that !!

its not proprietary.... it still useds a standard sloted screwdriver...

as you screw it down you will "squeeze" the dial on side of the case and the partial screwhead is on the otherside... so you would only need to turn the screw so the head is not over the case edge to release the movement and dial from the case... if the head was not cut you would have to uncrew and remove the screw before you can remove it from the case....

or at lest that is what my watchmaker told me about 20 years ago....

Bill

trackpad likes this.
  17. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Feb 27, 2018

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 27, 2018

Well... Bill... I never suggested you go argue with him...

But to call all case screws dog screws is like calling all 30T2's "RG" to put it into perspective.

That I can't answer, but they are a horrible design really. Over time, in particular on softer case materials, they will chew up the edge of the case. Thankfully they have pretty much gone out of style now.​

Cheers, Al

19. trackpad Feb 27, 2018

Thanks, Bill. Makes sense. I was thinking more along the lines of clearance for some portion of the caseback, but nope.

20. trackpad Feb 27, 2018

Not sure I understand how dog screws are fundamentally different from the more common/modern (runaway) screw first depicted by the OP. Aside from not needing to be fully removed from the movement. But I think I've got bigger problems, frankly, in my understanding of how a caseback (or dog) screw actually secures the movement in a watch case.

Back to the OP's original image, I can see how these screws prevent the movement from falling forward toward the crystal, but it's not 100% clear to me how (or if) it prevents the movement from being pulled from the caseback side once the caseback is off.

Are case screws helping to wedge the movement at the sides of the case as they are tightened? Are they very slightly off-angle so that they eventually make contact at the edge of the movement with the inside of the case? So many mysteries.