Forums Latest Members
  1. TEdwards Aug 7, 2012

I have been the very proud owner of my first Omega for three weeks. (I'm in love again!)

Its an automatic 501 caliber and since my sedantry work doesn't involve doing any hand jives - I just type keys all day long - it has stopped a couple of times.

So I'm assuming that I need to help it along a little by winding it. I need to know - how to wind it?

Does it wind on both clock and anti-clock wise rotation of the crown?

I don't want to over-wind it, it that's possible, how do know when to stop winding it?

Is it normal that the automatic winding needs a bit of manual assistance if being worn by a lazy person?

A jeweller who looks at it said that the automatic bit was a "bit sticky" but didn't really need a service.
    If I did get it serviced, what would it cost and can you recommend anyone in East Anglia in Olympic (timed by Omega) GB.

Thanks

2. ulackfocus Aug 7, 2012

Automatics have a slipping clutch (called a sliding bridle) on the mainspring so you can't overwind them. Twist the crown clockwise 30 or 40 turns each morning and you should be fine.

That'll be $1 please.

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 7, 2012

I've also noted that the sound changes when fully wound (on several watches), that's what I go by.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 7, 2012

Now is that a full rotation turn, a back and forth 1/4 turn, a one half rotation turn, or a random back and release turn ?:p

5. TEdwards Aug 13, 2012

As always,thanks for the advice. It hasn't stopped since..

dsio likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Aug 13, 2012

Another satisfied customer! :thumbsup: We aim to please.