Forums Latest Members
  1. htiek Feb 9, 2018

I am looking to getting a limited/special edition Speedy like a 60th or a CK2998. However, despite loving the design and aesthetic and movement, I am wondering if I will be too scared to wear it. I wouldn't want to damage or chip.

Another issue is its value. Wearing it will lower value, but I guess why have it and not wear? Should I get a regular Speedy Pro (which I also love, so no real compromise)?

Is it worth getting something like CK2998 or a 60th and not enjoy it properly?
    Are they more of an investment than a timepiece?

Thanks

2. Meme-Dweller Feb 9, 2018

Just wait until you get a new car...

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 9, 2018

4. rainking Feb 9, 2018

With either of the watches you mentioned, I wouldn't even consider not wearing them. If you actually want to invest $7K, invest it in something else. You aren't going to see a life changing windfall from those watches anytime soon.

mayankyadav, propervinyl, Pun and 2 others like this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 9, 2018

I'd wear the hooey out of it and enjoy it all the while.

I don't view watches as I do collectible coins. One won't derive the same sense of enjoyment spending a rare coin that he will when wearing a grail watch.

6. larryganz The cable guy Feb 9, 2018

A CK-2998 will lose $1000 in value the minute you take it home from the OB, but wearing it won't change the value much after that.

7. Caliber561 Feb 9, 2018

You could always buy vintage :)

Lucasssssss and kkt like this.
  8. KstateSkier Feb 9, 2018

wear it! Enjoy it!

propervinyl and htiek like this.
  9. Rman Feb 9, 2018

If you can't afford to wear it,

Don't buy it.

kind regards,

R

10. htiek Feb 9, 2018

Do you mean repair it in case of an incident?

11. Rman Feb 9, 2018

Yes, and to service it. And to enjoy it without stress.

If you can't luxuriate wearing it, it isn't a luxury right?

kkt, Caliber561, Starman71 and 3 others like this.
  12. Rman Feb 9, 2018

If you're worried about depreciation, get a second hand standard Speedmaster and wear the darn thing.

13. htiek Feb 9, 2018

Good point. Its one thing to buy an expensive watch, its another thing to keep it in proper condition. I did factor that into the cost, which is why I'm leaning more towards a classic Speedy Pro

14. rainking Feb 9, 2018

Man, honestly I think you're approaching this from the wrong angle. This thread is similar to the other thread you created asking about the 60th Speedy vs the modern Speedmaster '57. None of the watches you've mentioned in either thread are likely to be worth $17K any time soon. If it turns out they are, great, but I wouldn't be going into owning any of them with that expectation as a decision driver. You should just buy the one you like most, can stomach the price of, and then wear it without worrying about depreciation. Take reasonable care of it and it really won't be that big of an issue. And if turns out that it's so sought after that it's worth double or more than the MSRP in a couple years, even well cared for used examples will yield a hefty profit to those who purchased at something close to the MSRP. I'm not sure what else you're hoping someone is going to tell you here.

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 9, 2018

Why buy a watch younlike and not wear it? If you want to buy an investment watch there are better choices.

htiek likes this.
  16. htiek Feb 9, 2018

I guess I'm newer to the more exclusive speedys, so I'm a little hesitant to take the dive just yet haha

mikekchc likes this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 9, 2018

Look at all the vintage speedmasters even if serviced and worn as long as everything is original.

One solution buy two put one in a safe and wear the other.

Buy it wear it enjoy it. Easy as that.

bazderome, Paedipod and htiek like this.
  18. vintagestuff Feb 9, 2018

I like your enthusiasm, htiek, and I understand the watch will be a big investment for you, and you want to get it right. Please consider the following advice: If the standard Speedmaster Professional is to your liking, as you said, you could find a slightly used model from the 2000s for 3000 ish usd. The 3594 (first homage to the 2915 is even less than 3k) I'm not a box/full set guy, and if you can live without a box that you'll never use unless you store the watch, you can get a very affordable watch that is just as good as a brand new one or LE. In fact, I believe the standard Speedmaster Pro is better because it is the descendent of the original. And the best part is with a lightly worn older watch, you don't have to worry about hurting it. You can enjoy it without guilt or fear. You'll spend less money and enjoy it at least as much.

mikekchc, jetkins, Egatdagi and 2 others like this.
  19. htiek Feb 9, 2018

You made some great points, and I agree 100%. I don't really need the box since if its sort of an "entry" to speedmasters. I've owned a 3510.50 in the past, and now I think it's time to upgrade to a Pro. That being said, I think a nice Speedy will make a great everyday watch

20. 77deluxe Feb 9, 2018

+1 wear. That’s the fun part of this.

Caliber561 and propervinyl like this.