Forums Latest Members

To trade or not to trade...

1. Sublime_1 Apr 4, 2018

I have been offered a Seamaster ref 212.30.41 for my Torino Olympic watch + 400.00. I not sure if I should do it. I really like my Torino but this very seamaster is the exact one I have been wanting; it is a 2017 model with a about a year and a half left on international warranty.

would you make the trade? Basically he is offering 2k for the watch.

This is what I would be trading:
    [​IMG]

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Apr 4, 2018

It comes down to taste and value. If the two watches were the same value I would make the trade because I do not like the Torino, but you do. As for value, you’d have to look up sold listings in places like eBay to see if they equate. How hard would the Torino be to get back if you regretted the trade? Those Seamasters are ten a penny.

3. Sublime_1 Apr 4, 2018

Good point. I'm thinking that 2400 is a decent price for a newish seamaster pro (I haven't even tried negotiating yet) and he's offering me more than I paid for the speedmaster. This very seamaster is the one that I want and is next on my list to purchase...I'm really leaning towards it.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 4, 2018

For those wondering it’s based on the reduced.

Sublime_1 likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Apr 4, 2018

First thing I evaluate in a trade: if I end up pining over the watch I traded away, how hard is it to replace? If the watch you're giving up is harder to source (hahaha! we're "sourcing" again!) than the one you're receiving in return, don't make the swap. Keep on saving to outright buy the other. If the situation is reversed and you could easily replace your current watch with minimal time & effort, while the watch you'd be getting is harder to come by, then make the switch and immediately start squirreling away ( ;) ) money for the possible repurchase of the same model as your former watch in case you do miss it. After you have the money, if you still regret giving it up, buy another. If you don't regret it anymore, spend the money on another watch!

Voila!!!! See, everything is simple if you let it be. ::psy:: :thumbsup:

6. DonovanMartin Apr 4, 2018

First sentence is the key for me. I hold on to a watch now if I think there is a remote chance I'll miss it. I ask myself why exactly will I miss it? Is that feature better in another watch? Would I like that watch better than the current one, and finally, as stated, how hard to replace if I decided to acquire another copy.

larryganz likes this.
  7. ac921ol Apr 4, 2018

What is your collection like?

I’d do it, if I didn’t have a black diver.

8. jetkins Apr 4, 2018

I wouldn't do it, for the very reason you stated above. The SMP will still be there tomorrow, but you'd have a harder time replacing the Torino.

propervinyl likes this.
  9. Sublime_1 Apr 5, 2018

Thanks everyone for your opinions. You all are right, I could save for 6mo or so and get the Seamaster and have both. This is why I never sell anything because then I wouldn't have it.

10. jetkins Apr 5, 2018

I have the same philosophy, but my wife doesn't sympathize. :(

larryganz likes this.
  11. Ionut Apr 6, 2018

Ok..don't do it. In my opinion that Seamaster is very common..Torino it isn't...you'll regret after a while.