Forums Latest Members
  1. scook94 Sep 20, 2014

I've inherited my Dad's Geneve and have been wearing it for a few weeks now. It's a good timekeeper and with all the sentimental things attached I'm really loving it. The "Day" part of the dial doesn't always click around properly and often needs a dunt to fall in place. With this in mind I'm thinking of sending it back to Omega for a proper service. I realise that the cost is high and probably matches or exceeds the commercial value of the watch. But I'm thinking of passing it on to my nephew when he turns 18 or 21, so feel for that reason alone it might be worth the expense to ensure it's longevity. Any thoughts/comments?

[​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Sep 20, 2014

First: don't send it to Omega. We have several more than qualified watchmakers here that can do the job for MUCH less money, and they're sympathetic to vintage watches - meaning they won't ruin the originality and replace parts that don't need to be replaced.

Second: You might want to wait a few more years to give your son that watch. To my experience, boys don't become responsible men until they're at least 25 and more like 30. Do you really want him to ruin it or lose it in a bar while he's more worried about getting a piece of..... um, hooking up with some bimbo than he is about a family heirloom?

3. scook94 Sep 20, 2014

Okay thanks. Considering I'm the UK (central Scotland), can you recommend somewhere to take it?

4. John R Smith Sep 20, 2014

This chap is in the Isle of Bute . . .

scook94 likes this.
  5. Habitant Sep 20, 2014

Good advice. Reasonable prices, too.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2014

I'd hold off on wearing it until the service as well, wearing an unserviced watch and running it can cause wear and damage to unlubricated parts, far better to wait until the watchmaker has lubricated it.

scook94 likes this.