Forums Latest Members
  1. OttawaMan Jul 21, 2016

Hi, I'm looking to sell my SMP 300 Diver 212.30.41.20.01.003 SE_Diver300M_21230412001003_VueC_1600x900.jpg but before I do, the steel bond bracelet needs a polish. It has scuffing from daily use on my office desk and the watch itself only has minor scuffs inside the horns where the springbars may have scratched it during band changes. Otherwise the watch is pristine.

So my question is two-fold. Will spending the money on a proper bracelet polish reap a return of said cost when I go to sell the watch and second, what can I expect to get for the above mentioned watch?

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 21, 2016

The OB will polish a bracelet for $75. If the bracelet is noticeably scratched compared to the case, then I think the cost of a bracelet polish would be worth it. If only the clasp is scratched, then maybe not.

3. aldindubo Aug 5, 2016

Yeah, I think it will. I would pay more for it.

4. kangajack Aug 5, 2016

I serviced my Speedy Pro Sapphire Sandwich prior to selling. I advertised the fact and included docs in the pictures and got about 500 dollars more than I was expecting. I was hoping for 3,000 and ended up getting 3,475. It's a nice perk for buyers of pre loved watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 5, 2016

A serviced watch is worth a premium.

6. alam Aug 5, 2016

To service before selling?

I think is a zero sum game to either party, or perhaps is a more financial risk to the Seller. Without doubt the watch will be more attractive to buyers if service was done by a professional outfit, the service is documented and there's warranty - but don't think the value of the watch will increase by the same amount of the cost to service - this is my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

Northernman likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 5, 2016

Any watch I buy is still going to my watch guy anyway, so no real premium from me.

Northernman likes this.
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 6, 2016

In my experience, little or no premium for a serviced watch. Personally, I prefer them not serviced, as I want to know my own guys did the work - right.

If you do decide to service first - use a recognized and reputable shop, and provide documentation as part of the FS advert.

voere and Northernman like this.
  9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 6, 2016

You sure are really finicky.
    If you buy a watch from a trusted seller and he/she says the watch has been serviced, and then your own watch guy inspecting it tells you its fundamentals are fine, you're going to get it serviced again?

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 6, 2016

For the watches I'm usually interested in, I probably would. I'm not sure that someone could assess the state of the movement visually without taking it apart and if it's coming apart, might as well clean, oil and tweak it. A few dollars up front is a small investment for peace of mind and parts will be a problem eventually.

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 6, 2016

From a buyers perspective, I think it rather depends on who does the service prior to purchase. If I were to buy a watch of dubious service history on eBay then I would first put it on my timing machine and depending on the result decide whether to service and where to use. To me, a watch which it can be proven was serviced 3 months ago by OSC or STS is worth IMO £200 to £300 more than one which is running like a dog since I can be confident that it won't need further work and will be under warranty. If the service history is vague or the proof is illusive then I just assume it needs a service and price it accordingly. From the seller's perspective, unless the watch is running bad, I would limit it to a cosmetic tidy.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 6, 2016

Although using a timing machine and looking at exposed pivots for the presence of oil can give you some idea of the condition of the watch, it's far from conclusive.

13. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 6, 2016

To me it depends who the seller is. There are certain persons on forums (not just anybody), if they tell me the watch was serviced, I'll trust their watchmaker did a good job.
    If I buy from a dealer recommended as trustworthy by a forum member, and the dealer sells the watch as serviced with a one year guarantee, I'm inclined to believe the dealer is using a good watchmaker-- or am I again seeing the world through rose colored glasses?

(Of course I'm aware of at least one instance of a top reputable dealer selling a fake -- namely a Type 20 chronograph with FG markings going back to 1948, which is before those chronographs existed, so by that token anything's possible.... ).

14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 6, 2016

All a matter of preference I suppose. :)

15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 6, 2016

Words of great wisdom :)

oddboy likes this.
  16. kangajack Aug 6, 2016

I agree that the increase in sale price won't provide value to the seller, however the watch should sell quite quickly vs non serviced piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk