Forums Latest Members
  1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 19, 2013

This morning I did something I always believed I would never do.
    To explane I have several old silver wristwatches with movements way to far gone for practical economic repair, so out with the movements & crystals and some scrap silver.
    To me it makes sense but somehow it does not leave a good feeling.
    Maybe i'm an old softie :unsure:

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 19, 2013

It's not so bad. You could put the proceeds towards funding something which can be saved.

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 19, 2013

Thanks Trev, the art of positive thinking. Feel better already.

4. ulackfocus Jan 19, 2013

I wish you had posted them here. We could have told you if they were worth saving. Hopefully none of them were valuable beyond the scrap metal.

5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 19, 2013

Strangely hated doing it, a lot of research before the dastardly deed was done.

6. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jan 22, 2013

I can not tell you how it saddens me to see my boss on a daily basis rip open a watch, toss the movement in a bin and scrap the watch for the gold, silver or platinum content.

It makes a grown man want to cry or have a whiskey to keep from letting him have a piece of mind, not that there is much left of it these days.

Yesterday it was an old Vacheron Constantin pocket watch that had water damage to the movement. :thumbsdown:

7. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2013

Stephen, you do know to tell him to save the good vintage watches and post them for sale here, right? Tell him he could make more than scrap value - $$$ always get the boss's attention.

8. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jan 22, 2013

I have on mentioned that to him several times and he says the time involved is not worth the effort, "in his opinion."

He makes the rules and I keep trying to change them but it's a little like trying to heard cats for a living.

Maybe one day.........

9. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 22, 2013

I here what you say guys and you confirm my own feelings, tbh I reckon in the future they can sit in a box forever as i don't reckon I can ever scrap again.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

While I wish the gold buyers were more astute, I really can't blame them. Unfortunately I've seen many old folks tickled to pieces because they got $600 for there husband's, relative's, etc., old watch that did not even run. They think the $600 is a huge appreciation from what they imagine the watch is worth. I reality they have no concept of the watches value, just as many people when you ask watch a watches worth. " How much is a Rolex worth? I don't know, $500-1000? "
    You must remember many people grew up when watches were worth far less, and Grandpa certainly did not pay $3000 dollars for his Centenary or Constellation.
    Well we save what we can.