Forums Latest Members
  1. HeuerLoon Jul 8, 2015

I recently picked up a nice example of a 105.012-65. The watch is totally original I believe apart from the complete loss of lume on the dial.

I'm in a dilemma as to whether I should relume the dial. Opinions and advice would be warmly welcomed

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    persco and Giff2577 like this.
  2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 8, 2015

Since the lume is already gone...this is the only time I would relume a watch. No harm done at all.

persco likes this.
  3. Sgt_Bilko Jul 8, 2015

Speedmasters are not my thing but personally I wouldn't relume any vintage watch. For me it kills the originality and always looks too new compared to the rest of the watch. I don't care if I can't tell the time in the dark.

4. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 8, 2015

His watch is missing the lume already...how could it possibly affect the value? If you want it back the way he found it...you just remove the lume again.

Northernman, lenny and AAAKK like this.
  5. Sgt_Bilko Jul 8, 2015

I never mentioned the value. I just feel it looks wrong having bright shiny new lume on an old watch.

lawrie39 likes this.
  6. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 8, 2015

well, you have been using the wrong artist then. There are some pretty talented people out there that will enhance the value and look of this watch. It doesn't get much worse than no lume at all.

7. HeuerLoon Jul 8, 2015

If I did relume, it would be done with vintage coffee coloured lume in keeping with its age.

gophishin likes this.
  8. HeuerLoon Jul 8, 2015

Agreed. James Hyman is second to none when it comes to vintage reluming.

9. Geordie Jul 8, 2015

I personalty like the look of old lume when it has an orange tinge to it. You cant fake that Patna

Janne2000 likes this.
  10. Sgt_Bilko Jul 8, 2015

I've never tried to relume a watch, so it's not a case of using the wrong people. My watches are generally in near mint original condition.

11. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 8, 2015

No question messing withe the original lume on a watch is not a good idea, but did you look at the OP's watch??
    He is far from mint...and since it has no lume at all its best to relume it. Leaving it as is looks far worse.

Northernman and gophishin like this.
  12. gophishin Jul 8, 2015

I too am usually against re-luming from a preservation standpoint but also simply because usually not everything is relumed so all of the lume material doesn't match, which is a peeve of mine. But, IMO, this seems like the ideal time to use an expert at vintage appearance reluming since the hands and dial will match perfectly since everything will be relumed. I say go for it, you'd have a stunning watch if done correctly.

13. Sgt_Bilko Jul 8, 2015

If somebody can pull it off in a totally convincing fashion I guess it's OK unless somebody knows better. When I look around I see so many vintage watches with ultra bright lume that would light up a room and that would bug me every time I look at the watch.

I recently suffered a bad experience with a watchmaker who sent back a Constellation following a service with the second hand bouncing around on the dial after coming loose. Part of the damage involved a couple of the lume markers being destroyed by the second hand as it was pushed around the dial.

14. persco Jul 8, 2015

Agreed.

15. HeuerLoon Jul 8, 2015

I'm all for originality but the bare index plots bug me.

My other one compounds the frustration

image.jpg
  16. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 8, 2015

I think you misunderstand...I was not recommending putting new lume in this watch. I am referring to an artist applying a vintage looking lume to the dial. It can be removed at any point, which is the point :)
    With the right artist, this will look to the average person as if it was original.

gophishin likes this.
  17. pitpro Likes the game. Jul 8, 2015

Why did you buy it if you don't like
    the way the dial looks?

18. HeuerLoon Jul 8, 2015

Because despite the lack of lume its a nice honest watch which could be something very special if the dial is replaced or the existing dial is sympathetically relumed :)

19. pitpro Likes the game. Jul 8, 2015

To relume or leave be
    leave it as a nice honest watch jmo

davidswiss, Janne2000 and MikiJ like this.
  20. repoman Jul 8, 2015

tasteful relume seems like a reasonable choice. Stripped white dial plots are just wrong.

travisrock, tictictictoc and oddboy like this.