Forums Latest Members
  1. Swalters338 Aug 1, 2019

I realize the purists might consider me thinking of refinishing the dial as blasphemy, but unfortunately the scuff from 7-9ish half drives me nuts. To be completely honest, I'm a little irritated at myself that I didn't notice it at the auction as I was to focused on the crystal. Give me a break I'm new at this and made a minor mistake. But hey at least the watch is all original.

20190730_074245.jpg
  2. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Aug 1, 2019

Stet.
    Wabi-sabi.

3. KingCrouchy Aug 1, 2019

If you don't like the watch, sell it and buy one you like the dial and it's other parts off.

connieseamaster and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. Dan S Aug 1, 2019

You probably won't be happy with a refinished dial either. Flip it.

felsby and JwRosenthal like this.
  5. JwRosenthal Aug 1, 2019

I have been down this road, had a trashed Seamaster DeVille and had the dial refinished. The refinish was attractive, but it had its flaws, and I know it wasn't original, and I wore it once and never again. It has been moved on and I won't do that again. I can stand a little wabi-sabi/patina/damage, but a scratch like that would bother me too. A refinish on that wouldn't have the shimmer, the depth, the perfect lume pips, the micro-details. They aren't super rare so dump that one and wait for a perfect one and pay the premium.

Otterina, DaveK, felsby and 4 others like this.
  6. Shabbaz Aug 1, 2019

+1

7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 1, 2019

With damaged dials I wonder if taking the watches off of the shinny bracelet and putting them on wookie-hide or other rough-n-tumble leather would make it all blend in. And since blasphemy is on the table, would it work to remove the dial and convert it into a spaceview? I found this online.

astoview.jpg

yande likes this.
  8. connieseamaster Aug 1, 2019

The guy at Accutron214 will do skeletonized dials, since we're on the subject of dial modifications.

9. Fabrice M Aug 1, 2019

Refinishing the dial will lower the value of the watch should you ever sell it. So keep this in mind. Maybe a better solution would be to source a another matching dial and keep the original one.

10. Edward53 Aug 2, 2019

Do you mean refinish or retouch?

Otterina likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal Aug 2, 2019

Now that's an interesting question. The damage is localized to one space- if that could at least be minimized it would make a world of difference. Anyone have experience having a dial retouched for physical damage like this with any success? And if recently, perhaps ping the OP and let him know where.

12. Swalters338 Aug 2, 2019

Yes? I'm fairly new to the whole watch scene and I am trying to figure the best course of action for the watch. I'm not 100% sure what exactly all the options are. I suppose as some have suggested selling it might be the better option, but I don't do ebay. And of course I'm a lot of posts from being to sell on here. I imagine I'll send it off to get serviced and running and hold on to it for awhile.

13. bardamu Aug 2, 2019

If you can't stand that blemish, my advice is definitely to sell the watch instead of touching the dial.
    You risk to be unsatisfied and have a devalued watch at the same time.

JwRosenthal likes this.