Forums Latest Members
  1. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 11, 2014

Front.jpg Back.jpg I bought this at an auction last week, as a parts watch. The only trouble is that it is working and only needs a new oscillating weight axle and a service.

The engraving is a bit embarrassing because it says it is for 30 years service and dated 1961 - As the case back is correct for the watch (CD 166.032), I can only assume it was an engraver's cock-up.

The lugs are suffering from Spiedel rash so the question is:

1. Do I kill it and add the parts to the box? As a forum favourite, I'd expect death threats as a minimum.
    2. Do I hold out for a better case? After all, the hands are OK and the dial is really good.
    3. Just service it?

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 11, 2014

Depends how much you paid for it! I'd probably sell it to find a sharper example.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 11, 2014

I paid a parts watch price but now I'm having second thoughts about killing it.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2014

I like saving them... even when its not financially smart, but then I'm a bit of an idiot like that.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 11, 2014

Save it, a better case may stroll by.

On the engraving, Rand Carbide was founded in 1918 and continued business until the 70s in it's own right, so the engraver wasn't on drugs.

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 11, 2014

x2, part of the hobby I enjoy. Have two watches out right now that will cost me more to service than I paid, and will never return that cost on a sale. ::money::

citizenrich likes this.
  7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 11, 2014

I have bought a couple of sentimental watches, got them going and then offered them to the previous owners for nothing as a tribute. Both times were told that they don't mean sh**.

This is hard to say, but I think we value watches and their stories a hell of a lot more than normal people!

I would say treat it as you would any other watch, on it's own merits.

The owners gave up their story for pieces of silver and it will never mean more to anyone else. The engraving is a negative to value unless of historical importance and I would throw the watch into the donor pool.

If body parts from this are a Collector's plus to another watch, beautiful!
    If body parts from another restore this to collectability, Kismet!

Historical value would be to the family or perhaps the company and probably nothing to anyone else.

Thank God that we understand the true significance of these pieces.

If a life is lost, use the remains to live on in another!

(Sorry about the length, rum night you know, celebrating a nice, historical acquisition!)

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 12, 2014

Thanks Jim but the engraving says 1961 and the watch is from the late 1968 or later, so that's why I guessed the engraver made a mistake.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 12, 2014

Missed that :oops:

Maybe they were too tight to honour one of their retirees in 1961, and only a surge or groundswell of the "Old Retirees Club Give us a Watch" movement shamed the company into retrospective awards.

Maybe.......................

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 12, 2014

And not the only engraver to stuff up.

Tell me.

Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 4.32.04 pm.png