Forums Latest Members

To keep my 2503.33 or to get a 16570 Polar...

1. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 24, 2015

Hi all,

So I've been buying and selling A LOT lately. Recently, though, I found a watch I really like – the 2503.33 (technically the 2803.33.00, which is a 2503.33 with a leather band straight from the factory): [​IMG]

This is by far my favorite watch I have owned. I love the white dial, the band, and the overall simplicity. Not to mention, it's fun to stare at the movement through the sapphire caseback. :) It's also in great condition and from 2011, so it has lots of life left in it!

However, for months, pretty much since I have gotten really into watches, I have had my eye on a Rolex Explorer II 16570 from my birth year in 1995. I have a hookup that may be able to get me one with box and papers for as little as $2000 (from another country), so I am EXTREMELY tempted to pull the trigger. I mean, for one, $2k is the best deal you're going to ever find on one of those, and two, it's from my birth year... And, three, it's the watch I've wanted for nearly a year, but never thought I'd be able to afford.

I'm kind of on the hunt for "the one", AKA the watch I will own for my entire life and hand down to my kids. As much as I love the AT, I really am leaning towards the Explorer II.

What do you guys think?

Also – to clarify, I WILL own both one day, I just have to stick to one right because, you know, college. But I fully intend to own both a 2503.33 and a 16570 in the future – the question is, which should I buy and keep for now?

Thanks so much for the input!

Jeff :)::popcorn::

2. lillatroll Feb 24, 2015

The rolex looks like a thosand other watches, just on the asthetics I would take your watch all day long. Some people might think that the rolex has more kudos becuase its a name. At the end of the day I suppose you have already decided but the omega oozes class while the rolex is just a bit of slightly understated bling. I would keep the omega and wait for the rolex

ffej4 likes this.
  3. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 24, 2015

Gahhhhh. I am so torn between the two. In a perfect world, I would own both. Maybe if I can flip 20 watches in the next few months I'll have enough for both... We shall see. The 16570 isn't locked down yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll have multiple opportunities to get one very cheap. Hmm. I will really have to think about this.

Thank you for your input!

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2015

Polar EXP2 in that reference always struck me as one of Rolex's most mundane watches

Rallis likes this.
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2015

Everyone hates the polar express...it's not photogenic. I got one recently ( through a forum member) and i love it...but it's not my only watch.

The AT us a better design, at that price the polar is a better buy because you can always get another AT but not always a good birth year watch ( I got lucky and found a 5512 as a birth year and jumped on it despite the price). As you saw on a previous thread of yours the polar works with a number of strap and bracelet combinations so you can get a lot of mileage from it. A last point of reference is that should you flip you can get better value from the Explorer. BUT, make sure it's a real one and when you get it take it to a watchmaker to verify provenance and authenticate.

To this day I consider my AT Master C one of the better and simplest designed watches in my omega collection along with the LMLE PO. ( of course speedmaster Pro is beyond reproach) my 5512 is one of my jewels and the Explorer 2 was an unexpected capricious buy that ended up really taking a relevant place in my box. It's unassuming and sporty but clean and elegant.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    ffej4 likes this.
  6. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 24, 2015

That was a perfect description of the watches and a very good point.

I'm almost thinking I may take a go at the Explorer II, and with my last $800, maybe I can befriend a supplier or have my current friend in Seoul help me find watches to flip until I have saved enough to rebuy another 2503.33.

It's just such a tough decision. I really like my current Aqua Terra, but I'm definitely a box and papers kind of guy and I like having the original bracelet as well, so I suppose my "grail 2503" would be one with the box, cards, booklet, and bracelet, and then I would buy the Omega band for it later.

Also, I always am cautious when buying things. I know this guy pretty well and have actually bought from him before at a phenomenal price, so I have no doubts that he could find something for me there at a great price.

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2015

The question is wether or not you can build a good reputation in order to make your money flipping as watch buyers are very cautious. Your friend sure has some exceptional price points there but good buyers don't shop on price, but on seller and quality.

If you can stretch your money at this point I would say finance (cc purchase) the buy and don't sell the AT; because I'm not sure you're going to make your fair money on it after shipping, paypal or eBay fees plus the expense of repurchasing later and you may be a few hundred down when all is said and done, which will be more than the CC fees on a 6 month paying plan. Don't get addicted to CC buying though, but if you're sure you love them both don't flip, just hold to your value

ffej4 likes this.
  8. lillatroll Feb 24, 2015

That rolex is Pamela Anderson, the Omega is Keira Knightly, do you want mucky or sexy?

ffej4 likes this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2015

Man, he's on his 20's in college, you just made him buy 6 rolexes and a lifetime supply of kleenex

ffej4 and lillatroll like this.
  10. lillatroll Feb 24, 2015

I suppose at that age anyone would go for mucky, thinking about it mucky is tip top, however if you have the chance to go for sexy even if you are in your 20s then it is going to work out better in the long run

ffej4 likes this.
  11. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 24, 2015

Hahaha, that made me laugh.

Dang guys, I really don't know. I guess if I intend to own both eventually, maybe I should just keep the AT for now and flip until I've saved enough for an Explorer II. I'll make a pros and cons list tonight!

12. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 24, 2015

If you don't get the Explorer, can you pass the seller info to me? I'd love to get an Explorer II.

13. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 24, 2015

Sure! I might be starting a joint business venture with him, in which case we'll be happy to talk with as many people as possible :)

blufinz52 likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 24, 2015

I think you should spend a full week on a Rolex forum before buying a Rolex and get back to us ::popcorn::

ffej4 likes this.
  15. SeanO Feb 24, 2015

did you say it's the Rolex is O/S?

if you're a good ole' boy you'll have difficulty importing it.

16. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 24, 2015

I don't even have an account on the Rolex forums!

I think I've decided - I'm keeping the 2503.33. It's rare, beautiful, and really an awesome size.

I think it'll rise in value over the years, because it's rare and popular. Also, I think this watch will age really well. In 20+ years, it'll be gorgeous. This is a dress watch, but it's one that'll look good vintage as well.

I'll save up for now until I can get the 16570 of my birth year.

The Aqua Terra is too cool to get rid of for now.

So, since I'm keeping the AT, if anyone's interested in an SMP 150th Anniversary... You might message me [emoji6]

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2015

LOL, place it on the for sale section with pics... That's how I it works here. Otherwise no post will ever be safe.

Glad you are a choice ypu feel good about. It is a great watch... Although Keyra Knightly is too skinny and has this weird face sometimes like something smells funny... Very English. So I think I'll exchange imagery for....

ffej4 likes this.
  18. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 24, 2015

$2k for an Exp2?

Too good to be true. ::screwloose::

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 24, 2015

Does sound low... But hey! If it has a return warranty on authentication why not?