Forums Latest Members
  1. dwndler May 4, 2016

Couple of weeks ago I put a bid on an auction and won an Omega Geneve with box and papers, my first compplete vintage Omega set.
    Not an interesting piece by collectors eye but still it was fairly priced.
    As soon as I got it it went to my watchmaker and he was finished with it today. I picked it up and brought it home for picturing.
    Unfortunately I discovered to my worst nightmare that number written on the papers as movement number and actual movement number are different. Not by much and most likely a typo but still it does not align:(
    As you can see last digit on the movement is clearly 8 while the paper says 0 ::facepalm2::

I know that my watchmaker had a Constellation where last digit was 8 instead if 9 or something like that so it happens, but still.
    Any one of you had similar experience?

What is the right thing to do if selling or trading this watch? How to approach?
    1.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 13.jpg

2. nickw May 4, 2016

You are worried because you think having matching papers for this piece would significantly enhance it's value or because not having matching papers is going to detract from the pleasure of wearing it?

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 4, 2016

Doesn't look like a big deal to me -- seems like an honest mistake. 8s and 0s get confused a lot especially if looked at quickly or without a loupe, etc. Seriously doubt the original papers were lost and the owner worked to find papers from the watch made 8 before theirs. I would be surprised if this has any real impact on the value.

4. dwndler May 4, 2016

I am well aware that only a miracle can significantly enchance the value of this piece and personally I am well aware that this is the original paper with typo or honest mistake as BlackTalon says. And typo in papers would not affect the pleasure of wearing it.

Just curious if anyone encountered same and maybe how to explain to potential buyer / trader?

5. calalum May 4, 2016

Um, how about "You may notice that the serial number was apparently slightly misreported when the dealer filled out these original matching papers 45 years ago. Obviously, no big deal and it's great to have the papers with this watch."

GuiltyBoomerang and Darlinboy like this.
  6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 4, 2016

^ x2. And I suspect you really would not even need to explain to someone who is a collector.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  7. dwndler May 4, 2016

8. dwndler May 4, 2016

And what about this buckle? Gold plated and worn but no stamps inside::confused2:: 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg

9. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. May 4, 2016

That's some strong hyperbole! :thumbsup:

As others have stated, this isn't a big deal and doesn't merit much disclosure by the seller, most wouldn't even notice. But I think the major lesson here is box and papers only really add value to seriously collectible pieces, usually in top condition. The demand needs to be there for the watch itself in the first place. With the watch in question, demand is low, papers add little if any value so the correctness of the paperwork makes no difference.

Several years ago I overpaid for a one owner Mark. 4.5 in terrible shape with b&p. It was my first vintage chronograph purchase and I thought I made a decent score, but soon realized it was in such bad shape it would cost me another $1000 to get it in acceptable shape. So I sold it, which took a long time and several price reductions. So that was my n00b tax.:whipped:

10. dwndler May 5, 2016

@Andy K: I know my expression was a little bit too strong but I remember my watchmaker when he realised that last digit is off by one number so I thought it can not happen twice. But it could. Everyone had n00b tax and I would admit it is not the first one for me but as this one is bought on an on line auction there was no way I could have checked movement number vs. papers.
    Thanks for your reply and for sharing your experience. Looks like a keeper or trader watch rather than a seller one :)