Forums Latest Members
  1. gavdim Jan 4, 2016

Hi. I've been researching Speedsters for a few weeks now and am looking for my first vintage purchase. I have found a 145.012 with a calibre 321 mechanism from '68, however there are a few discrepancies which I'd like to get input and views on.

The dial seems authentic for the year with an applied logo and the hands and patina look ok. The bezel is a DN90 (whereas I thought for that year/model it would be a DO90 bezel?). The case and case back, plus mechanism look true however the strap is a 1171 rather than a 1039. No box or papers. From what I've read, it seems Omega *could* have made a watch from this year with some mis-match of the bezel and strap styles however I am in two minds as to the overall authenticity of them all being from the original timepiece (I have no concerns that they are all original Omega parts). As lovely as the watch is, and with one eye on resale value in the future, I don't want to buy a Franken-watch or indeed something that I will find myself wanting to acquire a DO90 bezel and 1039 strap. I can't view the piece in person as its in another country but the dealer looks very reputable. Price is c.4000 Euro....

Would love the forums view and advice.

2. lando Jan 4, 2016

Bezel is definitely wrong.

And, personally i would need to see some good pics from all angles and inside to say more...

3. mozambique Jan 4, 2016

4. gavdim Jan 4, 2016

Tks. I'll post some pics I've been sent shortly...

5. gavdim Jan 4, 2016

Pics attached. As you'll see, DN90 bezel, 1171 bracelet but nice shot of serial number (which looks ok... :\)

3406036c_xxl.jpg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpeg
  6. Davidt Jan 4, 2016

Hmm, this one makes me a bit nervous.

Obviously the bezel is wrong, but the chrono hand could be ok for a '68.

However, the problem is it looks like a .012 case and dial with the shorter pushers and narrow T's. Unfortunately this doesn't fit in with a 26xxxxxx serial and a .12-68 case back.

It almost looks like half a 65 and half a 68, with some service parts. The dial also looks like it's list some lume and what's left isn't great.

Can you confirm that it has narrow T's on the dial?

7. Davidt Jan 4, 2016

Actually, is the serial 2500xxxx? In that case it could be just an incorrect caseback, with everything else being fine for a .012-66.

Even then, you're still looking at an incorrect caseback and bezel, with an average dial.

Would be a good bit of work for an average example.

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 4, 2016

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  9. Dgercp Jan 4, 2016

A hodgepodge for sure with incorrect bezel, caseback and chrono hand (assuming 25XX ref and .012 case).
    For me, the dealbreaker is that the dial just looks tired (to borrow a spacefruit quip).

10. gavdim Jan 4, 2016

All

many thanks for your insight input, opinions and expertise. I think I'll give this one a swerve and wait for something better. Appreciated.

Gavin.