Forums Latest Members

To be or not to be Longines, that is the question

1. bubba48 Jun 20, 2017

The Société Française Longines was the Longines agent for France for many years but it is the first time I see a watch with the SFL logo standing alone on the dial.

longines SFL (4).JPG

A very good quality stainless steel case...

longines SFL (5).JPG

longines SFL (7).JPG

...with a correct matching of serial numbers

longines SFL (14 (2).jpg

Two tone dial

longines SFL (10).JPG

And a well finished movement

longines SFL (11).JPG

But...

"Dear Xxxxx,

Thank you for your message.
    For your information, I do agree that SFL means Société Française Longines which was our agent in France for many years. We have delivered them many Longines watches but also Longines movements. They were then able to produced the case and the strap under license from Longines.
    In this case, the name Longines was on the dial.
    On the pictures you have sent me, we can see the watch is made by SFL, under their name. In addition, our chief watchmaker confirms the movement is not made by Longines.
    So as far we do suppose SFL made their own production but we can’t find any archives in Longines to prove it.
    If I find something in the near future, I will let you know.
    I hope this information will be of help to you and remain at your entire disposal for any further information you may need.
    Best regards,

Jennifer Bochud
    Museum Curator"

So nothing to do with Longines, anyway a nice and very well made watch

longines SFL (13).JPG

0uss, Radiumpassion, adi4 and 10 others like this.
  2. Rumar89 Jun 20, 2017

Seems like, if that happened today, you'd be sued for trademark infringement in a heartbeat.

kkt likes this.
  3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 20, 2017

I recognize this one. A very attractive piece in fantastic condition. Would have been neat with a cal. 25.17 but likely much more expensive. Thanks for posting it.

Syrte and argonbeam like this.
  4. argonbeam Jun 20, 2017

Great looking watch regardless. A 25.17 or 9L would've been nice but this movement looks to be good quality with chaton-set jewels, etc. Love that it's a stainless case, as most of the rectangular or tonneau pieces readily available seem to be plated or solid (not that 14 or 18K is bad, just more expensive). Given all the great watches I've seen you post, however, you obviously have access to the not-so-readily available pieces :p

Edited Jun 20, 2017
  5. bubba48 Jun 20, 2017

The caliber is probably derived from ETA 717

argonbeam likes this.
  6. Rumar89 Jun 20, 2017

Is the brushing on the movement unusual? I don't know that I've seen a piece that has such a finish. Love the dial.