Forums Latest Members
  1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 14, 2012

So I note a couple of you are Australian, perhaps even more among the lurkers. I am shortly traveling to Melbourne & Syndey for a few days for work. I'd appreciate your insights into places to root around for vintage watches in those cities. Any tips?

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 14, 2012

Hi Lou
    There are heaps of expensive bricks and mortar shops in the centre of Melbourne! Cheaper places, try these two:
    - opposite GPO on Elizabeth st, Melbourne. Not sure of its name. Not great service - I asked the girl there how old a particular watch was. She looked at it, said "Seamaster, that would be 1950s or 60s" hmmm
    - in a small mall/lane off Collins St, opposite Australia on Collins, in between Elizabeth and Swanston. Again don't know the name. He has tray loads of random watches that I'm sure a good eye could pick out a great buy.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2012

Australia is a bit of a bad place to buy really, everything costs more here

4. seamonster Respectable Member Oct 15, 2012

Respectable Member LouS

Welcome to Sydney, if you want to meet some nice people and a beautiful country.

However, if you intend to hunt for vintage-watches, you will discover there are more shops closing down than the number of vintage-watches available. Whatever there is, like what dsio pointed out, it is rather expensive. Most likely the watches in your home-town are more affordable. You name the taxes, Australia have all. Otherwise Sydney would not get the title of the 2nd most expensive city in the world, behind Tokyo.

http://afr.com/p/national/sydney_world_second_most_expensive_zzaHWPkfFLEF0F5u7Fbn5J

God bless all Australians, especially those vintage-watch lovers and enthusiasts.

As far as I know, there are two reputable shops in Sydney, selling vintage-watches. One is Sydney Vintage Watches at the Strand Arcade and another is Nicholas Hacko, I think at Castereagh Street. To see the latter's watches, mainly vintage Rolex, you will have to make an appointment, before-hand.

Both these shops are in the City of Sydney and if you want their addresses, please advise.

Thank-you.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 15, 2012

There is also Kalmar Antiques in the Queen Victoria Building (qvb) in Sydney. Expensive, but if you are around there, worth dropping into.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

Thanks Ozzies for dope on the vintage watch scene in Australia - all reliable info. I thought I'd report back to you, including a nice little find.

First a little foreshadowing - spent a few days in Port Stephens swimming, sailing, drinking, eating, and even hitting the pokeys at the local Diggers club once we were well lubed - all activities the locals respect and do well. I had a sign from the watch collecting gods early on - this place which we came upon by chance is called Zenith Beach, and we spent a pleasant afternoon there getting sunburns and sandburns from body surfing.
    [​IMG]

Checked out Kalmar Antiques and Sydney Vintage watches in Sydney - prices expensive as you warned, but not more so than in my hometown of New York, and the selection was a little better. Salespeople a good deal more pleasant too. Quite a few Omegas, but nothing at a price that I would pay.

Melbourne was a bit better, and CanberraOmega sized it up quite nicely

The fellow on Little Collins street (the Watch Gallery) was unhelpful and uninterested. OK, as he had nothing worth looking at twice.

The people in the Block Arcade, in the process of chaniging their name from Antiquorum, as the auctioneer of the same name has recently made trouble for them, were much better. Found this little piece.

[​IMG]

It's got a cutout dial, a design feature of the 1930s-early 1940s. You don't find many of these of any make. It's best appreciated on the oblique view

[​IMG] Click this bar to view the original image of 1023x731px.
    [​IMG]

I also enjoy the faceted lugs and the very substantial case which makes the somewhat small piece (about 34mm) completely wearable.

[​IMG] Click this bar to view the original image of 1023x560px.
    [​IMG]

Among the vintages, the shop had mostly Omegas and the Zenith was plainly going unappreciated. The owner of the shop was away, but the fellow minding it was disposed to be reasonable. The only thing he wouldn't do in the owner's absence was let me open the case or take it to another watchmaker to open it to check the movement. However, satisfied with his general goodwill, the price and (written) guarantee that he would refund my money if the movement was not a Zenith in proper shape, we did the deal.

[​IMG] Click this bar to view the original image of 1024x594px.
    [​IMG]

When I got home, out came the case knife

[​IMG] Click this bar to view the original image of 927x1024px.
    [​IMG]

A cal 12-4 in very good shape, dating from about 1938. Inside the caseback, the early Zenith trademark clearly visible and a very low case number.

[​IMG] Click this bar to view the original image of 1024x743px.
    [​IMG]

All in all, not a bad memento of my visit to Zenith Beach. Next time, I'll look for Omega Beach.

MKelley likes this.
  7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 4, 2012

Good to hear! Given their location, I think they mainly get cashed up -ankers (chose your own first letter) that don't understand watches. Hence the attitude.