Forums Latest Members

To All The Vintage Freaks Here.... Do You Guys Ever Buy Current Models?

1. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 3, 2013

I was wondering does buying current models sound silly to you guys?

Thats what i feel may be i have wasted money on the current models .. i should have saved that money and got some crazy vintages ::confused2::

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 3, 2013

Yes own a few modern models including 2 that I wear regularly - an hour vision and a cal. 9300 speedmaster. Also own a few museum re-edition pieces.

3. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2013

Nothing wrong with buying a new watch and letting it become vintage with you. Got 4 or 5 modern watches myself even though I'm heavily biased towards vintage.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 3, 2013

Yep, Zenith and JLC.

Find the modern:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2013

Ooooo, ooooo.... I'll play!

Center.

Left.

Problem is I can't tell the difference between an A386 and it's modern reissue so the watch on the right in each picture could be either as far as I know. :oops: Doh!

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 3, 2013

Right!

The vintage has running seconds and chrono minute subdials overlapping the hour subdial, and modern has the hour subdial foremost, obscuring the arc of the minute subdial from 16 to 21 seconds. It's an mystifyingly stupid design variation which limits the usability of the minute subdial. Why modern Zenith did it this way has befuddled fans since 2009 - I have little doubt it has cost them a significant number of sales as buyers realize that one of the finest chronograph movements has been put behind a dial that can't be used well as a chronograph.::rant:

a pic of the modern stolen from the interwebs
    dsc00777b.jpg

7. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2013

Wow, don't like the oversized / overlapping subdials and the font is icky compared to the original.

8. Interstatetime Apr 3, 2013

"Poker Chips". I will buy anything....Modern/Vintage. Most of it eventually gets sold. One of my mentors in the watch business once told my..."Never fall in love with the goods my boy". I rarely fall in love with the modern goods but, just as my mentor Mr. Rappaport did, I do occasionally fall in love with something vintage. I did keep this more-or-less modern Spitfire for longer than usual (please excuse my penchant for mesh). Most of what I fall in love with watch-wise goes in pockets and not on wrists though.

[​IMG]

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2013

Quick cheat, just check the crowns :p

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2013

Yes, if you have not noticed, you need to pay more attention.
    I recent bought a FOIS Speedmaster, have a Planet Ocean, Seamaster Bond, Submariner, Speedmaster Classic Moon.

Also where do you draw the line? If within 20years, then a few more.

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 3, 2013

I buy several modern Omegas (within 10 years) and I believe some of them will be collectible in the future as I passed it to my son (call me an optimist :cool:).

The trio Seamasters 2254.50 Black, 2538.20 Great white and 2231.80 Titanium electric blue are my modern favourites.
    Trio SM MR.jpg

The other are modern Speedmaster Pro family: 3570.50, Moonphase 3576.50, Moon to Mars ......... and Aqua Terra family: 38.5 black teak dial and Railmaster

Most of them I bought pre-owned and I found it is really a value for money......

BrianMcKay and kendrick like this.
  12. kendrick Apr 3, 2013

I owe you a thank you, as the thread you created on 'young timers' a while back; is directly responsible for my acquisition of a 'Great White' on omega mesh.

Privateday7 likes this.
  13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 3, 2013

You are very welcome.........and I also thank many other members in here (Alam & several others) who show me the beauty of this Seamaster lines. Great white is a wise choice and I bet it will just increase in value (albeit not as fast as Speedy 321)

14. kendrick Apr 3, 2013

doubtful... but one can dream;). Regardless of how it appreciates, I have no plan to let mine go anytime soon. Now, I just need to work on getting my hands on that 321 speedy...

15. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 3, 2013

I spot a "hole" in your collection:
    The legendary and extremely rare 2531.2255, french version - "Super Bleu".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2013

Dude, you are the bon vivant of bezels. I always wanted to know what an electric blue would look like with that Bond bezel. Thanks!

Now will you buy a white gold America's Cup bezel and post photos of that so I can compare? :D

17. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 3, 2013

I do not have any current models of any brand but I have a lot of half old/half modern. Often very good value for money and perhaps sometime in a far future a couple of them might be considered a good investment. I have not bought them as investments and I do not count on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Central Scrutinizer likes this.
  18. ulackfocus Apr 3, 2013

This one is a bad decision:

I'll PM you my address so I can dispose of it for you.

19. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 3, 2013

Glad to have met such nice and helpful chaps here... We have a saying here that goes something like "who needs enemies with such friends" - do you have something similar? :p

[​IMG]

20. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 3, 2013

I do never buy new and have never done again since this Seiko diver when I was 15 sitting now side by side with the old Speedys :D
    Same with cars btw..