Forums Latest Members

To all doubters stuck on the Speedmaster fence, JUST DO IT!

1. JKN Jan 29, 2019

I have lusted after one for 20 yrs or so and put it off and put it off due to the price. Thanks to a good business year I could finally fund one outright without starving the children and the cats. Several weeks of reading on OF provided me with all that I needed to know to figure out what I wanted, what I didn't want, where to get it and how much to pay. Another week or so of waiting for the right deal and then a perfect, for me, 2017 Speedy in like new condition with hesalite and full bracelet shows up at my door in the most ridiculous watch box ever. It is way better than I ever expected. My only regret is that I didn't buy one 20 yrs ago.
    Omega1.jpg

Thanks to each and every one of you who has taken the time over the years to answer what are certainly 1000's of questions from the obvious to the obscure that reside in this forum. It took me over a month but I found answers to every question I had. Search really is your friend.

Thanks again,
    John

kgb33, Tet, sturosen and 47 others like this.
  2. about3blank Jan 29, 2019

Completely agree. It's such a satisfying item, such a pleasure to own! The complete package. It's really hard to describe why until you've lived with one.

3. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jan 29, 2019

9CFB22B4-1525-498B-9809-EF4BBE555768.jpeg When I first started the watch deal I thought I liked the plain dial the most. After numerous purchases I bought a couple Speedmasters. They are fantastic. In my own opinion the Speedmasters with the patina are damn sexy.

Tet, Skyblue44, destroid and 11 others like this.
  4. Steve88M3 Jan 29, 2019

I bought one. Then bought five more.

5. RMA Jan 29, 2019

I have just started peaking an Interest in one as of last year. I knew it was either going to be a 3572 or 3592, the ending result is a 3572.

432D29E1-A470-4BD5-A05E-0FABDB4DF4FE.jpeg
    Mad Dog, L Tigre, amiriqbal and 6 others like this.
  6. 77deluxe Jan 29, 2019

It is a very easy watch to like. Congrats.

Mad Dog likes this.
  7. Speedy2254 Jan 30, 2019

That's a beauty!. I bought a 2017 model last year after research here & on TZ-UK, people were very helpful & I got what I wanted at a very nice price. I would also echo your comment & say "do it", I waited 10 years from first considering a Speedy to actually getting one, I bought a 2254 first, then drifted into CWC for years but finally came back around to the Speedy that had been in my mind since 2008!

8. dan7800 Jan 30, 2019

I have a major problem with the Speedie. It kills the wrist time for other watches.

Mad Dog, L Tigre, Taddyangle and 2 others like this.
  9. rob#1 Jan 30, 2019

Seconded. Since I’ve had mine I rarely wear anything else.

Mad Dog and Taddyangle like this.
  10. rodeojones Jan 30, 2019

I don't post here much, as I'm more active on WUS. But, seeing as I'm in the market for my first Speedy Pro, Google searches have been leading me here more often. I like finding posts from members like me who have considered this watch for years, only to continually put it off. I've bought (and sold) enough watches over the past few years, when I got really serious about this hobby, to have purchased a Speedmaster multiple times. But I've decided the time is now. Just waiting for the right one to pop up.

Congrats on the purchase. I look forward to joining the club - hopefully sooner rather than later.

11. Morseman Jan 30, 2019

C'mon in - the water's fine!

rodeojones likes this.
  12. rodeojones Jan 30, 2019

Thanks to the -50° temps in my area, I'm not working today. Plenty of time to search WatchRecon.

13. mr_yossarian Jan 30, 2019

Congrats! But concerning starving cats and kids..your fate is sealed already..or theirs. Here is you future :)
    20180925_202700.jpg

14. rainking Jan 30, 2019

I know the feeling. Had badly wanted a Speedmaster since I was in college in the mid-to-late '90s. Never could bring myself to "spend that much on a watch." Until late 2017, when something put me over the edge and I bought a new Pro from Kringkily. Then a few months later, I bought the Speedmaster '57 broad arrow co-axial when the right deal presented itself. I know that watch doesn't get a lot of love especially around here, but man, I personally sure love it. Wearing it now for I don't know how many weeks straight now; it tends to get more use than my actual Pro. But then I put the Pro on again and think, shit, maybe this IS better than that one LOL. Then I wear IT for weeks straight before switching back, or to one of my other couple of watches for a bit. It turns out that the Pro and the '57 work perfectly for me, as the Pro is obviously the Pro (vintage feel etc) while the '57 has that bit of vintage look to it but is a truly modern watch with its auto movement and water resistance (I swim in it with no problems). Bottom line, Speemasters are just so perfect across various models. I wish I could grab a couple more but I'm probably going to be stuck on these two for years to come before I can begin to justify dropping thousands on yet another one. Most days, that's just fine with me. These are really the only two watches I need.

jB1128 and mr_yossarian like this.
  15. Cool Breeze Jan 30, 2019

Great story! Congrats! Love the Speedy

16. REckroat Jan 30, 2019

Congratulations on the purchase! It is a fine piece that I am sure will serve you well for many years to come. I am looking forward to joining the "Speedy Club" too...although maybe not to @mr_yossarian 's level....yowser!

My wife agreed to a birthyear Speedy for an upcoming birthday this year and since we found it sooner than expected, it has been hidden away in the house somewhere. However, every time I get a bit mouthy, I am quickly sent a picture of her and the kids making all kinds of excited faces looking at the watch, yet cleverly covering it from view of the camera. Even had one with one of our dogs (the one who I thought was MY buddy) in the photo. Not going to lie, that one hurt the most. Anyway, she's warned me that she has enough pics stored up to send me multiple everyday until the big day which is still a few months away. Apparently, playing practical jokes on your wife and kids routinely for decades does have consequences. Who knew? The kids are all into it too. "Hey dad, remember that time we went to Disneyland and you thought it would be funny to tell us Disneyland was closed the day we got there and we all cried?"

I still laugh about it...not sure why they can't.

dukerules, Paedipod and about3blank like this.
  17. Wetworks Jan 30, 2019

I'm really starting to dislike Speedmasters. There, I said it.

18. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 30, 2019

Time for an exorcism.
    ghost.jpg

Seaborg, Speedy2254, nlogax and 5 others like this.
  19. robinhook Jan 30, 2019

Congratulations man! My first Speedy was the engagement gift from my father in law, a sapphire sandwich. But it got me into the world... after months and months of reading I couldn’t resist the desire for a hesalite version so I got a pre-owned 2007 3570.50 for myself. It didn’t stop there... later I saw an incredible deal of a cal. 863 “transition” model 3572.50 from 1998 with a beautiful patina, and I couldn’t miss that one. So I ended up with 3 speedies. I gifted the 3570.50 to my dad and he absolutely loves it. I’m sure one day my son will have one of my 2 remaining speedies. So this is a story of how the Speedy conquered 3 generations in a family...

Here are the pictures...

D69C919C-C86E-4C25-A495-D1541238A6B8.jpeg 41D753A9-889E-4A51-984A-313731BD3042.jpeg AEF6F9FE-246B-46A2-93C4-EDE642740D69.jpeg
    Edited Feb 1, 2019
  20. Wetworks Jan 31, 2019

Yes, because differences in opinion are something to be ostracized and/or silenced.

I realize you're kidding of course, but the squirrel was on to something here; the drumbeat is beginning to sound the same within the echo chamber. And I say this as someone who actually likes Speedies (GSOTM is a grail for me). Again, just my observation.