Forums Latest Members

Tissot Powermatic 80 devolving before my eyes...

1. Wryfox Aug 1, 2019

So today I was wearing my Powermatic 80 that usually runs at -4secs/day. As for all seldom worn watches I checked it against the time standard and it was a few seconds off in the morning but then noticed it was further off in the evening when I took it off...almost a minute. I put in on the timegrapher and literally watched it go from +120 to +143 within a half hour...it was devolving itself before my eyes!

Anybody know whats going on? I just checked it again this morning and it's stuck at +143, the same as last night.

I have read that the max adjustment on a Powermatic is +-30secs, and it's a difficult process as the adjustments are on the balance wheel itself with tiny screws on the balance arms.

If I were to venture a guess, one of the tiny screws has come loose?

Anyone know how to correct?

Thanks all!

2. jerm Aug 7, 2019

Could it be magnetized? You could do a quick check using the iphone app Lepsi, then if it is it's a quick trip to any watch shop - or just buy a demagnetizer off ebay or any similar type site. Other than that, can't help much. My wife's titanium powermatic 80 has been the subject of magnetism a couple times now, to the point where i just bought the demagnetizer and did it myself. runs well again after that!

Archer, Jerseyhammer and Syrte like this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 7, 2019

I would also bet it’s magnetized.

Jerseyhammer and Mark020 like this.
  4. Wryfox Aug 28, 2019

So two weeks ago I sent it back to Tissot. They sent me a mailer. I was in a rush the next day to get it in the box and sent back to them.

I usually take a picture of every mailing label so I have the record of shipping details. But like I said I was in a rush.

I called yesterday to see if they had received and evaluated.

They said they have no record of it arriving.

Nor can they provide me with the tracking number for the return mailer, only that they sent me the mailer package.

So I didn't record the tracking, and they don't have it either, and they didn't receive it.

Uh boy.

Edited Aug 28, 2019
  5. Wryfox Aug 29, 2019

So I'll remark here the amazing coincidence between challenging the post office three days ago on the loss of my shipment, and the subsequent arrival two days later(today) at the Tissot service center in Miami. Its only a day or two from here to Miami by mail. Hmmmm...but at least they now have it. So I have that going for me, which is nice.

CJpickup57 likes this.
  6. ama98 May 14, 2020

WHat happened after?