Forums Latest Members
  1. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 2, 2013

Clearly the case design worked as intended since the dial on this one is in spectacular condition.

IMG_4419.JPG IMG_4416.JPG

yala, NT931, Tire-comedon and 9 others like this.
  2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2013

Excellent. Is that a 1930's case?

3. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Nov 3, 2013

Hi,
    Outstanding condition for this model (not only the dial, but also the caseback is so well preserved). First time I see the mention Aquasport on the dial. Great find, thanks for sharing.

It is the 1940's case, corresponding to Omega model CK 3683 from 1941 (the third and last evolution of the marine line, equiped with a R17.8 for Omega). As Tissot and Omega were sister commpanies, Tissot had the same lines with Tissot calibers Inside. Do you have a picture of the movement?

My Omega is in a much lesser condition, still hoping to find a better dial. But it has the trident 'Neptune' hands :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MKelley and SpikiSpikester like this.
  4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2013

Thanks Yann

I'm still hoping to find a good Marine Standard. In the meantime I just have to satisfy myself with a 2nd execution Marine :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2013

Nice!

rhetoric likes this.
  6. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Nov 3, 2013

Nice!
    This is the first execution (CK 679 from 1936 with a 19.4 Inside). The second was the marine standard with a T17 Inside ref CK 3635, the third being the marine standard CK 3683 with a R17.8 Inside. Yours is among what I think is the earlier production of the CK 679, with the short clasp. This ref was also produced with a long clasp. In AJTT, there is a picture of a long clasp marine presented as the first model, but based on my observations, long clasps I have seen have a higher serial number than the short clasp ones. I had asked Marco Richon about this difference but he did not know about the details.

My CK 679 :
    [​IMG]
    the long clasp :
    [​IMG]

My CK 3635 :
    [​IMG]

SpikiSpikester and rhetoric like this.
  7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2013

Very interesting. Based on AJTT I thought the long clasp was the first version, but having now re-read the attached article it looks like you're right and that the long clasp was produced throughout the 1930's - probably at the same time as the short clasp. Judging by the movement no mine is c.1935/6. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the movement when I had it opened up.

http://www.nawcc.org/images/stories/Public articles/395_34_45.pdf

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 3, 2013

Warren, I've been away, is this the public unveiling of your find? If you intro'd on another thread, I'd love to see it.

9. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Nov 3, 2013

Thanks for this article which I didn't know. It is the first time I read something about long and short clips and answers a question I had for a while now. I understand that the massive clip was the first and then the shorter was launched in 1935. I think like you that the two models have probably been sold in parallel because the serial numbers I've seen on long clasps wer higher than for short ones.

10. tamura Nov 4, 2013

Here is my short clasp marine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has a mysterious engraving on the movement, I do not know what it means.
    [​IMG]

Tire-comedon and SpikiSpikester like this.
  11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2013

Tamura, that dial is in lovely condition :thumbsup: Interesting that some have "Fab Suisse" and others say nothing. It wasn't routine for watches to be marked as Swiss made at that time.

12. tamura Nov 4, 2013

Thanks Spiki
    I read somewhere that fab. suisse was used in export models only, before swiss made appeared.

13. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Nov 4, 2013

Nice watch also in a very good condition. The marking on the movement is a M, if I remember well, it was engraved on movements put in metal (i.e. not gold or silver) cases.

DirtyDozen12 and SpikiSpikester like this.