Tissot antimagnetique

723739E7-ECBE-485A-8077-9D8AB7EB08B4.jpeg D0858F43-BA69-4953-A988-491A548B746F.jpeg 90FB8828-70E5-470D-9AA1-F7F6F6C2ED89.png 0AF35285-13BF-444E-B4DD-B452F06F8BC9.png F27AB97B-56BC-488F-AC71-2F762DC26726.png 113F2545-CD87-4722-A03F-0C67F24B1595.png Hi again folks,

Apologies for starting a load of new threads, I didn’t want to hijack others!

I have been looking into picking up a vintage Tissot, firstly at the T12 range - and now the antimagnetique range.

Surprisingly, there are relatively few for sale on both Ebay and C24 considering they were widely available back in the day. I know that they came in many iterations, over a long timespan, so styles are very varied. However, whilst I was weeding out the bunch I came across this one (images attached). As always, I thought it best to run it by the greater expertees here on the forum prior to offering! :)

I am assuming that the case is gold plated (and in relatively rough condition around the rear of the lugs). The dial seems in order. However, that is about the extent of my knowledge (having done some further research as well)!

Is this in a condition that you would consider purchasing at the right price?

Cheers as always,
Fraser

Like 2
No. :D

(Some collectors, like myself, shun plated cases irrespective of condition and/or price.)

Like 3
The dial is original and fine, but a gold plated case is not very attractive.
If interested in vintage, it's better to look for a stainless steel case (or full gold)

Like 1
Thanks folks, I didn’t realise that there was a dislike of gold plating amongst vintage collectors - although I do see that it becomes a bit tatty when worn!

As far as I’m aware, they didn’t produce a huge amount of stainless steel cases for this model (though I may be wrong), but mostly chrome and plated. I’ll continue the search until the right one pops up, thanks again

I didn’t realise that there was a dislike of gold plating amongst vintage collectors - although I do see that it becomes a bit tatty when worn!
Hang on, don't let the fact that the case is gold-filled dissuade you from taking a closer look. Gold-filled cases do require you to do more damage discovery work - look closely at the sharp edges on the case edges and lugs where wear and tear is likely to occur, especially where the strap might rub against the lug.

But I would not be surprised if that heavy 20-micron-thick gold fill is in good shape all the way around. The case was made by HF (Huguenin Frères), a well-known and highly-regarded casemaker for Tissot, Omega, and many others. The case, dial, movement, and hands all look original and correct. Your Antimagnetique dates to about 1950, which was near the end of the time that Tissot used that attribute on the dial.

Tissot made a large number of watches in solid gold, gold-fill, and steel as you can see in the image below. If you're up for the hunt, you can find a nice selection of inexpensive vintage watches with gold-fill cases in very good shape if you're patient and diligent in looking for damage. The advantage is yours, because as you noted above, many collectors dislike...
upload_2022-8-29_20-55-18.png

Like 3
Thanks folks, I didn’t realise that there was a dislike of gold plating amongst vintage collectors - although I do see that it becomes a bit tatty when worn!

As far as I’m aware, they didn’t produce a huge amount of stainless steel cases for this model (though I may be wrong), but mostly chrome and plated. I’ll continue the search until the right one pops up, thanks again

Stainless is safer but it is all about condition ……..

Like 1
Hang on, don't let the fact that the case is gold-filled dissuade you from taking a closer look. Gold-filled cases do require you to do more damage discovery work - look closely at the sharp edges on the case edges and lugs where wear and tear is likely to occur, especially where the strap might rub against the lug.

But I would not be surprised if that heavy 20-micron-thick gold fill is in good shape all the way around. The case was made by HF (Huguenin Frères), a well-known and highly-regarded casemaker for Tissot, Omega, and many others. The case, dial, movement, and hands all look original and correct. Your Antimagnetique dates to about 1950, which was near the end of the time that Tissot used that attribute on the dial.

Tissot made a large number of watches in solid gold, gold-fill, and steel as you can see in the image below. If you're up for the hunt, you can find a nice selection of inexpensive vintage watches with gold-fill cases in very good shape if you're patient and diligent in looking for damage. The advantage is yours, because as you noted above, many collectors dislike...
upload_2022-8-29_20-55-18.png
Thanks a lot for your input, much appreciated! :) I was curious about the ‘HF’ inscription on the inner caseback, as I couldn’t see any similar examples. It’s a very cool detail. If they are known for producing a high quality finish, then I may reconsider. I can see some scuffing around the lugs here, but not quite as much around the case / dial as some other examples.

These models seem like a great vintage entry point, mass produced and therefore relatively inexpensive! Although condition-wise, you get what you pay for, I suppose.

Cheers!

Stainless is safer but it is all about condition ……..
Lovely example! Can’t beat a vintage in mint condition

Like 1
I was curious about the ‘HF’ inscription on the inner caseback, as I couldn’t see any similar examples. It’s a very cool detail. If they are known for producing a high quality finish, then I may reconsider. I can see some scuffing around the lugs here, but not quite as much around the case / dial as some other examples.

While it is nice to have a case made by en excellent manufacturer, it will make virtually no difference in terms of resale value. That may not be a point that concerns you, but no matter which company produced the case, nor the condition, there will be a much smaller pool of interested buyers in a plated case, as opposed to full steel or gold.

And speaking of condition, unless this is an artifact related to photo distortion, there appears to be plate loss close to the upper left lug:

tiss865.png
Edited:

Like 2
While it is nice to have a case made by en excellent manufacturer, it will make virtually no difference in terms of resale value. That may not be a point that concerns you, but no matter which company produced the case, nor the condition, there will be a much smaller pool of interested buyers in a plated case, as opposed to full steel or gold.

And speaking of condition, unless this is an artifact related to photo distortion, there appears to be plate loss close to the upper left lug:

tiss865.png
Yep, I totally understand regarding the potential resale value. Though I was more musing as to why this plated case might have seemed in better condition than many other examples that I have come across, I didn’t pick up on this detail earlier :)

I think you’re right seeing some plate loss on the top left lug. There are also a good few dings / signs of erosion at the rear (though it’s hard to tell with the lighting) that were putting me off initially, hence why I ran it past the forum first - which always seems to be a wise choice!

Like 2
IMHO .. it all boils down to whether you like weathered look of the watch especially if it’s at an attractive price. Plate loss , tarnishing , discoloration etc can at times add character. Here is my jumbo 38mmDFF47187-AFCE-4CB0-BA05-D075BA829147.jpeg

Like 3
IMHO .. it all boils down to whether you like weathered look of the watch especially if it’s at an attractive price. Plate loss , tarnishing , discoloration etc can at times add character. Here is my jumbo 38mmDFF47187-AFCE-4CB0-BA05-D075BA829147.jpeg
That’s a lovely example, is that a solid gold case you have there?

I am quite partial to some patina on the dial, and a slightly rougher look (though there is obviously a line between aged and damaged). However, I do think that worn plating looks like rust, which comes across as tatty to me!

Thanks a lot for your input, much appreciated! :) I was curious about the ‘HF’ inscription on the inner caseback, as I couldn’t see any similar examples. It’s a very cool detail. If they are known for producing a high quality finish, then I may reconsider. I can see some scuffing around the lugs here, but not quite as much around the case / dial as some other examples.

These models seem like a great vintage entry point, mass produced and therefore relatively inexpensive! Although condition-wise, you get what you pay for, I suppose.

Cheers!
HF is Huguenin the case manufacturer.

upload_2022-9-3_21-46-23.png