Forums Latest Members

Tissot Antimagnetique - opinions

1. Haris Aug 31, 2017

2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 31, 2017

chrome plated...no go in my book...unless oversized and unique.

Haris likes this.
  3. Vitezi Aug 31, 2017

Well only you can decide that, of course. :)
    Posting a picture of the subject watch for posterity:
    upload_2017-8-31_18-14-8.png

Based on the serial number, this watch dates to about 1946. The dial is original and in reasonable shape for its age. The minute hand is missing its lume, and the second hand may have been replaced. The crown is typical for the era and the handwind movement appears to be from the caliber 27 family.

But as @watchknut points out, it's a chrome-plated case. Most collectors shy away from a chome case because the plating is often in bad shape and unattractive, with chips and dings from 71 years of normal wear and tear revealing the base metal layer underneath. The ad mentions the case has been replated with "New medical 3 -level chromium" (whatever that is :cautious:) , but I find that hard to believe based upon this picture:
    upload_2017-8-31_18-22-32.png

Is it worth it? Well, you can probably find a better shape (read: not replated) example for less money, but it will take some patience and research. While you're thinking about it, I might suggest spending the time here soaking up the knowledge. Check out the sales forum and the WRUW thread. If you like vintage Tissot, here are a few examples: https://omegaforums.net/threads/do-you-like-tissot-many-pics.58233/

Haris likes this.
  4. Haris Sep 1, 2017

Thanks for the replies guys!

Exactly why I asked, looks like I need to sharpen my eyes and do a bit more research before I start looking to buy.

5. Haris Sep 1, 2017

Any tips on where to search for watches?

I'm currently looking at the sales section on here, eBay and Etsy occasionally.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

6. Vitezi Sep 1, 2017

There are several threads on this forum that discuss that topic. Folks search everywhere: pawn shops, watchmakers, clock shops and dusty jewelry stores, Goodwill and other charity shops, flea markets, antique stores, local NAWCC swaps/ meetings, online and local auction houses, online watch forums and watch shops, Craigslist and other classified advertisements, and so on. The fun is in the hunt.

Haris likes this.
  7. micampe Sep 1, 2017