Forums Latest Members
  1. NobitaD Jun 20, 2018

Hi, newbie here. I was asked to post a new thread here.
    Saw a Tissot Antimagetic at an auction house. I am interested but the case looks different from what I could found on the google. Initially it has no movement shot but managed to obtain the movement shots from them. It appears to me that the case, crown and movement are wrong for the dial. I believe it should have a cal 27 or 27-T1 movement. Your thoughts please.

It is advertised as "A gent's Tissot Antimagnetique wristwatch, stainless steel case with subsidiary seconds dial and 15 jewel movement, serial no. 2016764, case no. 6351, case width 33mm"

Photos are from auction house. Sorry for the size.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vitezi and Spruce like this.
  2. michael22 Jun 20, 2018

Never seen a square movt in a round case before.
    I am ignorant though.

3. Vitezi Jun 20, 2018

Welcome to the forum! :)

The watch looks OK to me, with a nice patina and minimal case polishing. The serial number dates it to about 1948. The movement itself appears to be a caliber 17.5-1 which was commonly used in Tissot's round watches of that time. The signed steel screwback case is correct.

The crown does not seem to sit quite right against the case, but it is likely to be a replacement anyway. At that time (the late '40s) the crown would have been unsigned, so a watchmaker skilled at working with vintage watches can easily find a more appropriate crown for you. Give that watch a sympathetic movement service, a new crown, and a hand polish only (avoid a machine polish) every so often, and you'll have a nice timekeeper that will last another 70 years.

4. NT931 Jun 20, 2018

Yup, i've seen a few of these rectangular Tissot movt in round cases as well (another example here, with very similar caseback markings).

Is there possibly an additional dust cover missing as well? (the example seems to be similarly structured as the OP's with a groove for an addn dust cover).

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 20, 2018

Plenty around - Omega did this a lot too.

6. Vitezi Jun 20, 2018

Possibly, although these usually are lost over time. I rarely see a dust cover on a run-of-the-mill Antimagnetique model. More commonly, dust covers are found on the early Camping models that specifically called out protection against dust.
    upload_2018-6-20_11-25-55.png

7. craigbythesea Jun 20, 2018

Welcome to the forum. Nice Tissot. General question and sorry if it takes this post in a differnet direction. My Grandad was a navigator in the British RAF in the Second World War. He always talked about the Tissot he wore. He was shot down and put in a prison of war camp. He had the watch taken from him. Being antimagnetic, would this be the type of watch he would have worn?

8. Vitezi Jun 20, 2018

Tissot offered a wide range of wrist (and pocket) watches during that era, from huge 46mm round watches to small rectangular watches, so it's hard to say what your Granddad would have worn. Several examples can be seen in this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/do-you-like-tissot-many-pics.58233/

The company worked to develop antimagnetic watches and then heavily promoted them throughout the late 1930s and 40s.

upload_2018-6-20_11-52-58.png

upload_2018-6-20_11-50-29.png

Edited Jun 20, 2018
  9. craigbythesea Jun 20, 2018

@Vitezi thank you for the link to a great post. You have just sent my watch research (and possibly collection) in a whole new direction.

Vitezi likes this.
  10. Vitezi Jun 20, 2018

Happy to help!
    That's what we do best around here! ;)

11. craigbythesea Jun 20, 2018

:):cool:

12. NobitaD Jun 23, 2018

Thanks all for the response. Not sure why, I didn't receive the notification about the posts, and thought nobody is interested in this thread. Hence the late response.

Thanks for the link. I can see the similarity between my example and your link. The crown on mine is definitely not the correct. My example was sold for £30 in the auction house. Unfortunately, I didn't bid as I couldn't find the similar example elsewhere.

Thank you. Can you please tell me how to find out the movement number from the serial number?

What is the fair price for one come with similar one dial that I posted and a CH27 movement?

13. NT931 Jun 23, 2018

For the 1st qn, you can probably check Dr Ranfft's database and match it with the pics. Unlike Omega's, the movt number is not stated on the movt.

As for fair price, gosh, they're all over the place, ranging from $100 on ebay to $500 from dealers for these smaller 33mm pieces. Price definitely goes up with size, though you can get pretty nice 36-38mm ones for $200-400 on auction sites still. I've seen dealers ask $600-1000 for these jumbos though. As with most things, prices change with condition. Beware that some of them come with pretty ratty chromed cases.

There's a Tissot antimagnetique up for sale on this forum right now actually, a slightly larger 35.5mm size, just FYI. The usual auction websites (ebay, Tradera, Catawiki etc) often have them as well, so happy searching.

14. NobitaD Jun 23, 2018

Thank you. I have tried Dr. Ranfft's page before.
    I saw the one on Sales Forum before it got sold. It was a nice one but thought the price is a bit strong. Hence, like to see a bit more before actually paying for one. 35-36mm is an idea size for my skinny wrist (6.5 inch). Anyway, got a lot to learn about Tissot!