Forums Latest Members

Tips buying second hand A Q 25033300

1. michfrom Nov 18, 2016

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am currently in the market for my first Omega Aqua Terra (also my first 'expensive' watch) because I just love the dial and the fact I can wear it in the office or in the weekend.

Wanting to go second hand with a budget of about €2k, i found this lovely 25033300. White dial and blue markers from 2008. Complete with box, papers/certificate etc. Is there something I should pay special attention to when buying? And maybe some tips or advice how much this should be, in mint condition?

2. meganfox17 Nov 18, 2016

[​IMG]

3. meganfox17 Nov 18, 2016

Any photographs Sir ?
    Mint condition ? 10/10 ? 9.5/10
    Obtain the full serial number & seek Mr Archer's help to determine whether it's a Cal 2500 C or 2500 B

michfrom and kkt like this.
  4. Buster Nov 18, 2016

I would first investigate the reputation of the seller and seek recommendations from previous buyers. Has in had a recent service?

5. michfrom Nov 18, 2016

Thank you. Well, maybe near mint condition. I have to see it with my own eyes.

Where can I find the full serial number and who/what is MR Archer?
    I should ask the seller about the recent service, maybe combine that in one mail with the full serial number megan is talking about?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Buster Nov 18, 2016

Archer is a respected contributor to this forum and is very knowledgeable about Omega watches.

7. WatchVaultNYC Nov 18, 2016

Well once everything is sorted out don't take too much time. This model moves very quickly.

8. michfrom Nov 18, 2016

Thats what I ve heard! Which full serialnumber is Megan talking About? To find out the 2500 movement (but does that even matter??) could anyone say something about a descent price?

9. WatchVaultNYC Nov 18, 2016

It depends on who you buy from. But from my own selling data, the normal price is around $2500-$3K (near mint to mint condition). If your $2K is priced fairly, then look very closely at mechanical and physical condition because $2K seems to be low.

10. alam Nov 18, 2016

There are different variants of the 2500, B/C/D; note that the 2500D is the latest iteration (and the serial number of the movement will indicate the exact model); here's some previous chat regarding these variants...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/is-the-new-omega-really-better.47084/page-2#post-561225

https://omegaforums.net/threads/does-my-smpc-use-a-2500c-or-2005d-movement.16059/

michfrom likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 18, 2016

Replied to your PM, and then saw this thread. The serial number is on the card, however the Omega Extranet does not say what version this exact watch has. As I noted with the display back, you can read this directly off the movement, so look in the area of the balance wheel, and you will see a stamp like the one shown here:

[​IMG]

On your watch it will be right here - I can see the stamp but can't make out what it says...

[​IMG]

Please let us know what the version is...

Cheers, Al

alam, michfrom and meganfox17 like this.
  12. meganfox17 Nov 18, 2016

Yes Sir. You are Spot On actually. I think remembered a guy from UK who was trying to sell the same model for €2000. When there was no buyers after few days , he brought the price down to €1850 & someOne snapped it up immediately. I was just hoping for a great bargain[emoji1]

The US currency is on the rise after the Presidential election & Malaysia is feeling the negative after effects. Morever in mth or so , I wouldnt be surprise if the currency exchange rate €1 = USD 1

Would a continued rise in the strength of the Greenback influence orders from overseas clients @WatchVaultNYC ?

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  13. meganfox17 Nov 18, 2016

Listen to @WatchVaultNYC . I trust this Respected Gentleman more than your Seller

14. michfrom Nov 20, 2016

Thank you all for your very helpful comments!

So this watch is for sale for 1950, according to you guys that is either a great bargain or there should be something wrong with it?

The seller says it has had a service last year, and he will check for the stamp on the movement.

15. michfrom Nov 21, 2016

Last question guys, anything else I should check when I have the watch in my hands to make sure it is not a fake?

16. alam Nov 21, 2016

I'd say proper documentation providing details of the service done and equally important, showing who performed the service....and ideally, I would like to see this before purchase.... ;)

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 22, 2016

This is a big one - not anyone can service a co-axial watch properly, as it's very different than a Swiss lever watch in terms of servicing.

meganfox17 and alam like this.
  18. WatchVaultNYC Nov 22, 2016

Just saw this. Relative rise and fall of currencies always affects buying habits. The sample size I have for watches is just in the thousands so it' statistically small - there is anecdotal evidence that when people perceive that there is trouble in the USA, people overseas will buy from me more than usual.

With my other business, where the sample size is much greater (tens of thousands), I could graph the amount of loss sales during the Greek economic crisis. During Brexit, both sales to the UK and those in Spain (where lots of UK residents invest in second homes) dropped by a lot. Aftermath of the US election, a draft of international buyers made orders on my webstore.

@meganfox17 - Speaking of currencies, I was an expat in KL during the Asian meltdown around 1997 - all of the money changers those few days were closed because IIRC the local currency dropped by 50% against the greenback - that was a frightful time. No mobile internet, no one knew what was happening until the PM news.

meganfox17 likes this.
  19. alam Nov 22, 2016

Hey! That was part of the deal! Wild Man Trump will make your WebStore great again! :p

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  20. fskywalker Nov 22, 2016

Dont think 2500D movement was ever used in that model, latest iteration was 2500C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro