Forums Latest Members
  1. stefy56 Mar 3, 2016

hi, a guy offered me this Omega Speedmaster Reduced, ref. 351050, serial 56,168,810 (so 1998?)
    to 1200 Euros. with box but no documents, only from legitimate sources Document.
    Latest revision Unknown
    I wanted to know from you experts if the price is appropriate and if the watch is in order.
    Thank you all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 3, 2016

Are you in the market one? Are their other watches you want? Do you want to own a Speedy Pro?

I only ask because if you have your heart set on one, this is probably an OK price, but if you just buying "because", I would pass, save my money, and work towards a Speedy Pro.

Abott1394 likes this.
  3. Canuck Mar 3, 2016

Could be okay! How would we know about the condition? It looks okay from the exterior. Problem with the "reduced" is that many watchmaker's that service the Speedmaster Professional, won't touch the "reduced"! I speak from personal experience, being the owner of one of these. I had owned the watch for ~ 20 years. It had been an abominable performer! Totally unreliable. I sent it to Omega, Canada, for an estimate. They quoted me somewhere south of $600.00 (Cdn.). I told them to do it. Six weeks later, I got the watch back. I immediately checked the movement. They hadn't serviced the original movement! They replaced it! Today, it is a highly accurate, reliable, thoroughly satisfactory watch, and I am very happy I had it done. I like the watch!

€1,200.00 ? Can't help you there but to say you'd pay a chunk more for a Speedmaster Professional! That translates to just south of $1,800.00 Canadian! Add to that the cost of servicing the movement (or replacing it)? Pretty well bite the bullet, and take your chances! Maybe check out the return privilege if the watch doesn't measure up?

In a recent thread on this MB, the reduced was compared with the Professional. There was a landslide in favour of the Professional! So if you follow the consensus of those who might reply, you might lean toward the Professional. I have one of those as well. Follow your nose, and buy what you want. But before you buy, you might check out the reduced vs. Professional thread on this board.

Edited Mar 3, 2016
  4. stefy56 Mar 3, 2016

the truth is that I would like a 39mm.

5. Canuck Mar 3, 2016

The reduced looks to have had next to no wear. Mine looked like that after 20 years of ownership because I couldn't rely on it. I think you are in a situation where, if you buy it and it is to your satisfaction, so much the better. But if it is a lemon like mine was, how will you feel having to spend another €400.00 or so to have the movement replaced? Even if you have to do that, Lady Luck is smiling on you! You have the watch you want for less than you'd likely have to spend on a Professional. And who knows, buy a Professional, and it could be you'd have to ante up a chunk of cash to have it serviced! I'd say, Go For It! Let us know what you do, and if you buy it, let us know how it turns out for you. I have a reduced, and a Professional, and as chance would have it, today I am wearing BOTH of them! That reminds me. As soon as it hit the reply button, I have to wind the Professional. No worry on the reduced!

SpicyWatch likes this.
  6. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 3, 2016

Not everyone is taken in by the speedmaster pro hype.
    If the OP wants a 3510 then let's congratulate him on his choice, It's a fine watch in it's own right.
    The negativity towards this model by members who have never owned one makes me despair.

off, Modest_Proposal, trama and 3 others like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2016

In fairness, the guy being negative about it here actually is an owner.

If you want 39mm the Speedmaster Date is a really nice choice as is the MK40, and much easier to maintain.

Ravineman and Archer like this.
  8. Canuck Mar 3, 2016

If I am the owner being referred to as being negative, pardon me for telling the OP the facts about my reduced. This (is now) one of my favourites out of my 13 Omegas. I haven't stated anything about the reduced Speedmaster that hasn't been said elsewhere on this MB! Just summarizing, and adding my experience with mine. I'm 90 % certain he won't have the problems I had, if he buys the subject watch! Like, I should LIE?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2016

Not at all, I was merely stating that you had one.

LaGenerale likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 3, 2016

As I've said before, in Canada these are "serviced" by performing a whole movement exchange. The movement in your watch was removed, checked for major damage (for example rust), and sent to Bienne to be refurbished. They then install a previously refurbished movement from someone else's watch from somewhere in the world in your case.

Cheers, Al

11. Canuck Mar 3, 2016

The replaced movement looked as good as new to me. It functions as new, re-cycled or otherwise.

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 3, 2016

I've not owned one of these, but I have handled one. They're nice watches, and being automatic is a bonus for many people.

It's not a moonwatch though, technically, so in some ways, I agree with watchknut. If you're getting this instead of a moonwatch, then it's worth waiting and saving a bit more. If you want the same look with auto movement, then this is definitely a good choice.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 3, 2016

I have no problem if someone wants to buy one of these, but I don't think there's a problem with pointing out the potential pitfalls of this watch. Aside from some of the technical things, it's not unheard of that someone buys one of these either thinking its a Pro, or not fully understanding the movement. It's also very common for someone to buy one of these, then realize a short time later they really want the Pro, and they take a hit on resale.

Feelings on this movement are certainly mixed. This recent thread talking about problems with the movement after service, and slop in the hands being "normal" are things that I think people should be aware of as potential problems:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/experience-sts-servicing-2849810.html

And regarding the argument above implying you need to own one to have a valid opinion, well I've never had a hot poker stuck in my eye, but I don't need to in order to know I won't like it...;)

Cheers, Al

14. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 4, 2016

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically, I was just pointing out that whenever the subject of purchasing a 3510 crops up on any watch forum 90% of comments usually follow the same old line of " You don't really want one of those, it's not a real speedmaster so you'll always regret not getting a pro"
    Like I said, not everyone wants a manual wind speedmaster and are perfectly happy with the slightly smaller 3510.
    Personally, I will be more than happy to have a movement refurbished by Omega themselves if and when mine needs a service.

15. tyrantlizardrex Mar 4, 2016

Hey @stefy56, the price is about right, based on what these sell for open market (no box/papers/recent service).

Based on your wish for a smaller cased watch than the Speedmaster Pro (Moonwatch), it might be worth looking at both the Speedmaster Date, and the Speedmaster Day Date.

Both are similar case size to the reduced (1mm larger), but as far as I understand it, are thought to have better movements.

Quick google image search for examples (there are lots of fun dial variations on these):

Date:

OMG1961.JPG

Day Date (aka Mk40):

15206-1.jpg

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 4, 2016

Yep, when people ask for opinions on getting the watch that is a common answer, no doubt. It's common because it's very often true.

I think the key point that is getting lost in these arguments is that people just need to be aware of what they are getting, and make sure that is really what they want. If it is, fine - just go in with your eyes open...

If someone wants an automatic, and a smaller case than the Pro, the Speedy Date is a much better option in my opinion. If you disagree that's fine - we are all entitled to our opinions.

Cheers, Al

17. trama Mar 4, 2016

I've had a reduced for 26 years, actually it was purchased in Switzerland in 1989. Lately I wear the nice little auto winder out and about maybe once a week (I actually use the tachy all the time in my line of work, and keep it there mostly). I have enjoyed it immensely, and have never heard a peep about it being troublesome to service whenever I got it back. After learning about others negative experience, at least as it is so often parroted from non-owners in such a confident manner on this forum, I asked my watchmaker just last year if the model had ever given him trouble. He is a rather imposing figure, a bear sized South African I think, with a quiet sense of humour. He simply replied that no, he had never had any trouble getting the back off the watch ;)

I'm not a huge fan of dates, for some reason, but that day date MK40/octo posted above is _super_ interesting! This is funny to me, and a lesson in my own inconsistent tastes, seeing as I prefer non dates for a simpler dial...yet actually kind of like the craziness of that watch haha.

Anyways, as is so often the case in online communities, opinion and prejudice intermingle somewhat, but always know that the members here are really looking out for you. If the consensus is that these models are not a great investment for making $$$ then ignore that if you plan on keeping it. If the consensus is that they are troublesome, then factor in the cost of a quality overhaul. Just keep in mind that if you like a watch, and are making an informed decision you are never wrong...get it, and post lots of pics!!!

Banner Roar and Canuck like this.
  18. Canuck Mar 4, 2016

+1