Forums Latest Members

Tiny Scratch on Movement (3572.50) :(

1. Wysie Feb 24, 2017

Just realized that the movement has a scratch that's not noticeable usually, but at certain angles and light it can show up :(. I took it to a watchmaker recently to have it serviced as it was running +25 to 30 seconds per day, and it's now running very nicely (gained just 30 seconds or so over a week). Unfortunately I've no idea if the scratch was caused my the watchmaker or not, and it seems like a very fine, straight scratch which I thought was dust initially. I had it checked out under a loupe by both myself and the same watchmaker and it's a scratch

Photos Before Servicing
    [​IMG]
    There's no scratch in the red circled area.

Photos After Servicing
    [​IMG]
    There's a scratch in the red circled area.

To be fair, the scratch could very well be there before servicing, just that the photo wasn't able to capture it. I've been to the watchmaker over the past few years and he's a reliable and trustworthy person. Oh well. Guess I'll live with it till the next servicing in 5 years or something. Any suggestions on what I can do besides living with it? :p

2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 24, 2017

menacing, Davidt, alam and 5 others like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 24, 2017

I'd be more concerned about the red circles on the movement. I've never seen anything like that before..

MRTMan, menacing, Davidt and 8 others like this.
  4. Wysie Feb 24, 2017

That's why I went with 3572.50 and not 3570.50! You're making me feel worse lol.

Hahaha, good one.

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 25, 2017

I have this model watch as well. It originally came with a bracelet, but I wear it on a leather rally strap so that I can enjoy the movement.

A couple of options:

1. You can put yours on a bracelet, as the bracelet makes it very difficult to view the movement.
    2. Wait until you age, as the older you get the less you can see. If my watch had this scratch I would not even be able to see it. Plus the wheel is turning, so that too blocks it.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 25, 2017

Rule 1 of watch club: Never look at a watch you own under a loupe.

MRTMan, WiZARD, Pun and 2 others like this.
  7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 25, 2017

Gorgeous movements on these! If you hadnt posted it here, no one but you and your watchmaker would ever have seen it (or the tiny, near-invisible) scratch. I'd have searched for days to find it if you hadn't drawn that red circle around it, and even then it took me a few seconds to focus on it. I certainlny empathize though - I once sold an otherwise perfect watch once because of a tiny scratch on the dial that I just couldn't unsee.

So, either get over it or sell it. But first, throw away the loupe!

::popcorn::

oddboy likes this.
  8. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 25, 2017

Don't get a Timegrapher instrument, you'll start measuring all the positional variances of rate of your watches...

VillageIdiot likes this.
  9. M'Bob Feb 25, 2017

Do you encapsulate your car in bubble-wrap before going out?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 25, 2017

Looks like someone's tweezers slipped trying to lift off the pallet fork bridge. Can ask for the watchmaker to replace it at the next service if you like, it's maybe a $50 part or so. The before and after photos would appear to show it was done at the last service, so you may even want to talk to your watchmaker about him paying for a replacement if it really bothers you.

I agree it's disappointing to see damage done, but compared to some of the hacked up movements I see come in on vintage pieces, this is pretty minor. An example from this week is from some genius appears to have used screwdrivers to pry off the chronograph drive wheel from this Cal. 861 movement, instead of using a proper wheel puller:

[​IMG]

That's why you get the right tool for the job:

[​IMG]

Anyway, not making excuses for bad work habits, but watchmakers are human and sometimes mistakes happen. It's how the person who made the mistake fixes it that's important at this point.

Cheers, Al

SpeedyPhill, Pun and Darlinboy like this.
  11. Wysie Feb 25, 2017

Hahaha, thanks for all the kind replies, maybe except for the bubble-wrap one :p. To be clear I'm okay with scratches and all (except for on the crystal, although even then I'm getting used to the hesalite already), it's just that in this particular case it's a scratch on the movement which is somewhat puzzling.

Al, thanks for sharing your experience on this matter, perhaps it really is done by the watchmaker but that one before shot of the back is all I have, so it may not be enough proof. In addition I had taken it back to him to check if it was dust and he already said it's a scratch and he seemed pretty puzzled about it as well. It's a little tough to ask him now again if he's willing to pay for it. In either case, good to know that the part can be replaced in future. I've already somewhat accepted that scratch so maybe I'll just live with it for now; we'll see :p.

Thanks again for the replies!

12. patmoon89 Mar 3, 2017

Great. Now I have to check my 3572.50....

Haha. Just kidding.

But seriously. I will undoubtedly check tonight....