Forums Latest Members
  1. ChrisN Jul 26, 2015

I mentioned that I'd recently picked this up over here:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/any-love-for-smiths-about.21732/#post-308626

As there seems to be an upsurge of interest in Smiths (yes, one thread from six months ago that I resurrected), thought I'd show some details of this stock Smiths watch. British design and build from the 50s/60s - think Mini Cooper, Mary Quant, Cafe racers, Marshall amps, Twiggy, English Electric Lightning, The Beatles. OK, this may not be in the same league but they have a good history.

It was very dirty so needed a service before use. It appears to be a Smiths 12.15, 12 ligne (approx 27 mm diameter) with 15 jewels. They seemed to use the same movement in the 50s and 60s, this one with a sub second but they modified it to have a central seconds as well. This is Astral grade which sounds impressive until you realise that the better grade is the Deluxe!

It was very dirty but came apart well and is a very simple movement. There are a few interesting things with this movement but it's really the most basic movement you can get. Anyway, might be of interest to some.

Here after cleaning with the first parts to go on, shock jewels and the second wheel/cannon pinion. This is, as @JimInOz and @Geo! mentioned, a KIF Flexor, I think.
    S1.jpg
    Spring rotates and lifts to allow the jewel in.
    S2.jpg

Then rotated to it's locking position. Quite a nice system but not as easy as an Incabloc. Two screws for the balance cock is probably excessive but looks nice. Adjustable stud carrier so a doddle to set the beat error later.
    S3.jpg
    Less said about the existing mainspring, the better. This is how it looked when I opened it up and it's all off to one side. I tweaked it a little but have ordered a GR4563 as a possible best fit. Interesting to see how it runs with this and it's easy to change later.
    mainspring.jpg

Barrel mounted and meshed with the second wheel/cannon pinion. Then above that the ratchet wheel mounted on the arbor. The bridge includes the crown wheel and has some wear from the ratchet wheel but the bearings are more or less fine. The problem is likely to be excessive greasing for the click and lack of clamping on the bridge when the click is fitted. Almost impossible to buy parts for these so, pressed back into service.
    S4.jpg
    Barrel bridge mounted without click, that's later.
    S5.jpg

It's back together so will add some more later.

Cheers, Chris

noelekal likes this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 26, 2015

Since I started the other thread six months ago can you do mine as your second Smiths.

3. ChrisN Jul 26, 2015

All the way to Spain!? I think it's about time @JimInOz started with these;) No complications at all not like those Seikos.

4. ChrisN Jul 26, 2015

And another part.

Turned over and conventional keyless works. There was more grease here than on my car wheel hubs and I may have been a bit generous myself. The setting spring is a weak point and generic parts are available. This one is fine. Note the hole in the wheel to oil the third wheel jewel. Omega could have learnt from that for the 565... It won't run like a 565 though.
    S6.jpg

Train in place. Not the best finish but nice enough for a cheaper movement. Some pivot wear so am not expecting chronometer performance.
    S7.jpg

Main bridge fitted and pallet fork in place. I suspect this is the first time this movement has seen epilame, Let's hope it appreciates it. No lubrication guide for this so, I treated it like an sixties Omega.
    S8.jpg

This steel piece is the click/spring and is another weak point available as a generic replacement. Guess where it usually fails... This looks to be homemade so I will buy a new generic one to improve it's look and work out a proper way to grease it. It's an easy change.
    S9.jpg

Fitted and it does look agricultural but it works and the movement runs fine. However, it's impossible to fully screw down that barrel bridge screw (compare to before I fitted it) so it's definitely not correct. This is not helping in supporting the barrel and second wheel.
    S10.jpg
    After a half day running, it's not bad on the timegrapher (few additional tweaks to get here). Unknown lift angle so, I use the red dot on the balance wheel, 180 degree method and make it 47 degrees.
    0H FH.jpg
    215-240 amplitude at 0H which should improve over the week and a five position delta of 25 seconds. All the curves exhibit this rolling hills shape and as the screen represents about 35 seconds, I think it's the wear in the escape wheel pivots. I can't do anything about that.

Dial on and recased later.

Archer, khmt2, noelekal and 1 other person like this.
  5. Geo! Jul 26, 2015

You've put me in the mood to do mine Chris, but I really must finish a couple if on going projects first.

6. ChrisN Jul 26, 2015

I know the feeling. I've played with this one on and off over the weekend (it's not a long build being so simple) and tried it at half wind today and its within 35 seconds so, cleaned the black bits off the dial and it looks quite good. Nice blued hands but it may not be obvious from the photo.

Worst issue is there is pretty much zero parts availability and information. I'm not even sure I'm getting the right mainspring.
    dial post.jpg

noelekal likes this.
  7. Geo! Jul 26, 2015

I'm sure you will get it running perfectly Chris. It's a really nice looking piece and well worth the effort.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 26, 2015

:thumbsup:

Good result. you'll probably find that with the OEM click the bridge will seat properly.

9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 27, 2015

Thanks ChrisN, for posting about tinkering with your Smiths.

While I'll never work on one, I have an interest in the Smiths line, except for the Empire model which appears to be flimsy. It's fun to read your posts.

10. Geo! Jul 27, 2015

11. ChrisN Jul 27, 2015

Well, it settled down @Geo! I've not seen this before but, after running for a couple of days:
    0H after 2 days.jpg

Remember that I estimated the lift angle at 47 degrees but, it's clearly very good amplitude and not a bad line for this movement. Good isochronism too, I am quite surprised given the state of the mainspring. It's a bit stronger than Ranfft lists so I will probably change it. I'll get that click Jim - here is the complete list of parts at Cousins that I can find so, stick to your Seikos.
    parts.jpg

Thanks @noelekal. I wouldn't recommend working on these with this parts availability but, I like this watch and may keep an eye out for a W10. Might write something about the ETA 6498 I'm building at the moment - they're all different and that's interesting to me as well.

Cheers, Chris

12. Geo! Jul 27, 2015

I have had a couple of watches settle in after a while, but not quite so dramatically. It's going to be a good one Chris!