Forums Latest Members

Timekeeping Expectations For Vintage Omega Chronometers?

1. Whirling Sep 22, 2012

Folks,

What kind of timekeeping precision can one expect from vintage Omega chronometers? Of course, this would depend on the age, the particular caliber, and the treatment of the individual movement through the decades. For the sake of discussion, let's assume that one has just gotten the watch a complete service from a competent watchmaker.

Also, could somebody explain what it is that happens to older movements that full servicing doesn't fix? Is it wear on the teeth of the gears and other moving parts? What is the best performance that you have seen in a piece from the 50's? 60's? and 70's?

Thank you very much...I have a Connie getting serviced now, so I am eager to know what my standard should be.

Regards,
    Jon

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 22, 2012

If it has been taken cared of, serviced properly and worn parts replaced, should be able to stay within modern chronometer standards even after decades. Have manual winds from the 40s and bumpers from the 50s that keep this level of accuracy.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 22, 2012

It can vary depending on many factors in the watch's history. A good many keep time as good or better then many modern Chronometers.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 22, 2012

Been wearing this one for the last three days. Total error from atomic clock is -2 sec for that period:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's all in the skill of the watchmaker,
    gatorcpa

5. Whirling Sep 22, 2012

Well, the watchmaker I'm using was recommended by Dennis (ULackFocus), so he should be reasonably good, right? :) He is conveniently located two blocks from my home, too.

Regards,
    Jon

6. alam Sep 22, 2012

Not bad - what year is this one from? Would you say most of the variance on vintages tends to be on the negative side?

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 22, 2012

Love that black seconds hand :thumbsup:

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 22, 2012

Man I love that one...::love::

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 22, 2012

Verified by Omega as delivered to Italy in 1950. Variances can be in either direction. Sometimes even this watch might run a couple of seconds fast. This would be noted on the original COSC certification. Here's an example (not one of mine):

[​IMG]

Thanks Kyle. Looks even better now after its trip to Omega/NYC to get a new crystal.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

10. ulackfocus Sep 22, 2012

Sam is very good. He doesn't just test run on the machine, he'll do real world checking for a few days too. Provided the movement has all the correct parts in decent condition you can expect a vintage chronometer to run within modern COSC specs (averaging within +6 to -4 seconds a day over a 15 day period). Even non-chronometer Omegas aare capable of keeping very good time. If there's any issue, you can always take it back and tell him what's wrong. Nobody can get everything 100% perfect all the time but Sam has always been dependable. I can't think of any trouble I've had with his work ever.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

alam likes this.
  12. Whirling Sep 23, 2012

Thank you, everybody, for your very helpful answers. Ash, are you selling that Grand Luxe or just trying to twist a knife in my gut? :)

Regards,
    Jon

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2012

Well... if the price were right, perhaps ;)