Forums Latest Members

Timeframe and where to service this? Speedmaster pro

1. Joakime Mar 20, 2017

Hello,

Stumbled upon this forum while looking for information on my late grandfathers watch i inherited a few years back. What i would appreciate help with is, to put this in some time frame and where do i service this? Is any omega service place good, is there other type of shops that's better? I'm not really in the vintage watch loop and would appropriate tips on what type on place to seek, rather then specific places.

To check the ref number for the watch, i need to open the caseback? is that something i can do myself or should i hand it in and leave that to people who knows what they're doing?

So for what i know about the watch.
    My grandfather got it new after the moon mission, so i would assume it's 1970 or a bit later.

It hasn't seen a service from what i'm guessing is 20 to 35 years, which is why it seems like it's due.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

DSC01055.JPG DSC01057.JPG DSC01058.JPG DSC01059.JPG
    bhove, gminnj, KstateSkier and 5 others like this.
  2. 63TR4 Mar 20, 2017

Welcome to the forums and great looking Speedy!

You're right, the reference number is on the inside of the caseback. It can be done at home, but with a high risk of scratching up the caseback; I'd leave it alone and get the reference when you go in for servicing.

I'll let others suggest where to get this serviced, all I can speak to are the experiences other members have posted here.

3. richardew Mar 20, 2017

What you have here is a 105.012-66 with a HF case or a 145.012-67. DO NOT SEND THIS WATCH TO OMEGA! DO NOT SEND THIS WATCH TO OMEGA! Next thing to do is go to http://speedmaster101.com/ and do your homework. The bezel alone (the part with tachymeter written on it) alone is worth $2500 - $4000. The case has the lyre lugs that first appeared on the 105.012. It doesn't have the extra facet that the 66 CB case has. The back is pre moon and is single step, so it's later than a '65. The crown is original and I assume the pushers are original also. I'm sure the pusher experts will chime in later. At first glance the dial looks good but something about the lume bothers me when I blow up the photos. There are marks present near several of the plots that look like they may have been made when the old lume was scaped off and new lume applied. The lume on the hands and plots matches perfectly, something I don't observe on any of my 321s. Still, quite a valuable piece.

Edited Mar 20, 2017
  4. richardew Mar 20, 2017

As far as service is concerned, you cannot take this watch to any watch maker, but need to take to one who knows c321 speedmasters. The members of this forum all have their favorite one that can service this watch and maintain it's originality. Where are you located? If you were to take it to Omega, they will replace the "old" parts and make it look new. The value of this watch is all about it's originality and you need a mechanic who will preserve this.

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. Davidt Mar 20, 2017

That is a stunning watch and even setting aside the sentimental value, it is worth several thousand of any currency.

It's probably a 145.012-67/68 or a 145.022-68.

A proper, sympathetic service from a watchmaker accustomed to vintage pieces is imperative. Swapping parts such as the dial, bezel, etc will have a huge affect on value.

I notice you have the bracelet. On the inside on the clasp you should see a date. Perhaps 4 69 (4th quarter of 1969) or similar. This will help with the date the watch was sold (bracelets tended to be added at point of sale).

Let us know where you're located and we'll see if we can recommend someone.

6. Joakime Mar 20, 2017

Hello, thanks for the info. i'm located in the Sweden and finding a specific service place/person here for this might be tricky? I spoke with omega service centers here just now and they all seem to say they need to send it to Omega. But from what you're saying i assume i need to start digging a bit to find something else, any tips would be great!

7. Davidt Mar 20, 2017

If you're in the EU, it's a no-brainer. STS/Swiss Time Services in Essex, UK.

Etp095 likes this.
  8. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Mar 20, 2017

Nice one! Yes, I second sending it to STS.

What a nice family heirloom. :thumbsup:

Etp095 likes this.
  9. Joakime Mar 20, 2017

4th quarter of 70 then(?)!

DSC01064.JPG
    Etp095 likes this.
  10. Joakime Mar 20, 2017

Thank you, i will look that up!

11. Davidt Mar 20, 2017

That's the one. Still a 67 or 68 model Speedmaster. There was often a year or two between production and sale.

12. richardew Mar 20, 2017

The 145.022-68 wouldn't have the spear tip sweep second hand.

Davidt likes this.
  13. Davidt Mar 20, 2017

True

Almost certainly a 145.012-67 then.

Given the condition of the other parts I think it's unlikely to be a 105.012 with service pushers.

14. Etp095 Mar 20, 2017

That's a beautiful heirloom you have there, as others have already stated, Don't sent to Omega for service.

15. ibis888 Mar 20, 2017

Wow. Incredible watch. Wear it with pride.

As others have said - send it to STS.

If you think the cost of service is high - check out what the watch may be worth at speedmaster101.com.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 20, 2017

@ConElPueblo thats your neck of the woods.

17. ConElPueblo Mar 20, 2017

Oi! Get one of the lazy Swedes to deal with their n00b countrymen, will ya :D

A lot of Swedish collectors use www.watchguy.co.uk, as do I. Have been very happy with them.

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. Vicke Mar 20, 2017

Not gona lower myself to that level of trash talk from the dane.... :p

But if your ok with postal services handling your watch, sending it to http://watchguy.co.uk would be a good idea, if you can get a slot.

If you are in or not to far away from Stockholm, I would recommend getting in touch with http://farfarsklocka.se, or ABC Service Centrum at Hornsgatan, and find out if the can take a look at your watch.

Edited Mar 22, 2017
  19. kkt Mar 20, 2017

Great watch!

Yes, the case reference and the movement serial number can only be seen by taking the back off. It's not really hard, but if you've never done it before this is not the watch to learn on.

I hope you'll keep it as a family heirloom rather than be seduced by the high prices Speedmasters are commanding at the moment.

20. RJwatches Mar 20, 2017

My advice is to not even look at what they're worth, you might even become hesitant to wear/enjoy it.

MikiJ likes this.