Forums Latest Members
  1. dan7800 Aug 26, 2016

Hi all,

I have a 1968 Seamaster Cosmic which is very valuable to me since I inherited it from my grandfather who I was very close to. It is my daily wear watch and is nearly entirely original.

In the last month, I've noticed that manually winding the watch can be tough as the winding mechanism often gets caught and won't move (It feels like the watch is fully charged and I cannot turn the knob anymore, even when it isn't fully wound) and sometimes the quickset feature doesn't do anything.

Is it time for more maintenance, or is the damage already done to the watch? I can live with the watch as it is, I just don't want to cause any more damage to the watch, but also don't want to pay $$$ in unnecessary repair costs if I can avoid it.

It was maintained a few years ago by a local watch repair place.

Thanks all

2. Artifice Aug 26, 2016

Im still new here but I would like to ask of you are able to open the caseback and post pictures? I think it would be much easier for the members here to check if you can post pictures of the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 26, 2016

Sounds to me that you need to take your Cosmic for another excursion to a watchmaker.

4. François Pépin Aug 27, 2016

I think the answer is already in your message: time for a service!

Even if there is already a damage done, a service would deal with it.

5. japester79 Aug 27, 2016

Hi Dan, my father in laws cosmic was in a poor state. The rubber o ring was failed, the time wouldn't set and it wouldn't wind. Sent it to my watchmaker and a couple of weeks later.....

[​IMG]

Some new parts, services and re assembled and working a treat!

Get it to a watchmaker and have it's life brought back

JP

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  6. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 27, 2016

Yup, send it to a reputable watchmaker to have it serviced. Granted, it may be expensive; however, you could use a pay-per-wear model if you consider that a service will last a watch around three to five years. If the watch is a daily wear, then thats 3/5 X 365 = 1095-1825 wears over those years. If you then divide the cost of the service by those numbers you end up with a pretty small sum per day. I believe that it is a sentimental piece, and if you want to maintain that relationship it has being your grandfather's, you can do no harm in keeping his spirit alive by servicing the watch.