Forums Latest Members

Time 4A Pint Podcast #51: Diving into the Omega Seamaster 300

1. tyrantlizardrex Aug 4, 2019

1_WM.jpg

With the heavy media focus on the Moonwatch and the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 this year, you could be forgiven for thinking that Omega produce nothing but manual wind chronographs, and that the only exploration they have been involved with required rockets and spacesuits.

Equally, glancing at the ongoing surge in vintage, and limited edition modern Speedmaster prices, it seems that some collectors feel that if it wasn’t on the wrist of Aldrin, Armstrong, or Collins (or related to a watch they wore), that it’s not really worth hunting down.

Pure lunacy.

Today’s guest has pushed through the Moonwatch phase of his collecting madness, and donned mask, flippers, and snorkel, to explore the depths of Omega’s vast vintage catalogue.

His focus pulled from Omega watches that splashed down into the ocean on the wrists of engineers, scientists and explorers, to Omega watches that went deep under the oceans surface on the wrists of engineers, scientists, and explorers.

Horological tools that couldn’t be more different.

Although those cases do look incredibly similar.

Listen now.

M'Bob, nurseford25, jaguar11 and 7 others like this.
  2. PhotonX Aug 4, 2019

Saw this podcast pop up the app just now and was thrilled a new show is available.

noelekal and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  3. All Military Aug 4, 2019

Absolutely love this podcast, so glad to hear he's carrying on with them when he can

noelekal and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Aug 4, 2019

This was one of my favourites to record and edit - @speedamatuer is great for a chat!

5. tyrantlizardrex Aug 4, 2019

Glad to hear you like it!

Having a bit of a crazy time work wise, and had no plans this weekend, so finally got a chance to sit down and edit the audio and images of the interview @speedamatuer and I recorded back in May!

noelekal likes this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 4, 2019

Thanks much for advising us.

I love Seamaster 300s, all the 1960s variants.

I need to get caught up on podcasts!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Aug 5, 2019

Thanks to the 500+ folks who’ve given it a listen so far!

:thumbsup:

8. speedamatuer Aug 6, 2019

Same to you Chris, thoroughly enjoyed recording it! And the numerous attempts at photos...

tyrantlizardrex and SpeedyPhill like this.
  9. tritto Aug 6, 2019

Awesome. Something to look forward to in

10. jeppehh Aug 6, 2019

Thanks for the podcast @tyrantlizardrex

Started with the one mentioned in this thread and I’m now moving my way back through the catalogue.

A pint coming your way. :thumbsup:

11. Aussie Jim Aug 7, 2019

Great podcast. Have to disagree with you about the Big Triangle being the best, but luckily we all have diverse opinions

jaguar11 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  12. tyrantlizardrex Aug 7, 2019

I'm just not a fan of any of the straight lug Seamasters (or Speedmasters) - I wouldn't say one or the other is the best - just the design language of the bulkier twisted lug cases, with crown guards is much more me! :)

nurseford25 likes this.
  13. Aussie Jim Aug 7, 2019

Haha. Just having a little poke there. Agree the twisted lug case is a bit chunkier and more "masculine".

Really, really enjoyed the podcast, although I struggle to see how someone who has owned such lovely watches can bear to let them go. I have a 165.014 and a 165.024 with the small trapezoid and a 300 Co-ax Master, just havent found the Big Triangle yet, but when I do it will probably become my favourite. .024 is my fav of those
    IMG_1872.jpg IMG_0293.jpg IMG_2012 (1).jpg

14. tyrantlizardrex Aug 7, 2019

There’s always something else to chase down!

I understand that one of the watches from this episode (and I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed it!), has recently gone up for sale - 3 months after we recorded the show, priorities shifted, and interesting opportunities presented themselves to @speedamatuer that were too good to miss! :thumbsup:

15. speedamatuer Aug 7, 2019

Yeah I certainly don't sell them without regret, but there's always something out there to chase! Occasionally something orange and in a large cushion case....

16. inchpincher Has your missing inches Aug 8, 2019

Have to say that was one of most enjoyable episodes I think I’ve ever heard of your T4AP podcast, great topic and a perfect flow to the conversation.
    Personally I find it fascinating hearing people talk about how they collect, how they find watches (or the watches find them which is what I believe) and how they decide what to keep.
    Top work, have a pint on me.

17. tyrantlizardrex Aug 8, 2019

Thanks @inchpincher!

I've enjoyed recording each and every podcast episode so far, but the episodes where I'm talking with someone I know well, about something we share an interest in, to be the best and most fun, to both record, and listen to.

As you can probably tell, @speedamatuer and I don't get on well at all ;)

speedamatuer likes this.
  18. nzshadow Stowaway Aug 8, 2019

I am a podcast fiend, have been for years & I can honestly say that you have one of the most charming voices I have heard. I obviously dig the subject matter (and have actually re-listened to a few of your Speedmaster episodes while on long antique/record/watch hunting road trips), & I love the pacing of your show, the easy, conversational style, & generally think you are killing it.

Thank you for the education & the entertainment mate.

19. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 8, 2019

Okay, now I want a SM300. ::facepalm1::

Thank you Chris ! [​IMG]

Tristanp and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  20. tyrantlizardrex Aug 8, 2019

You are far too kind. ::shy::

nzshadow likes this.