Forums Latest Members
  1. Clancy Eccles Dec 30, 2015

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Omega, but not watches, having bought my first Speedmaster Pro 3592.50 shortly after a Spectre MCO this year. I love both pieces, and I am having a problem with the spring bars on the Speedie.

I have tried the Omega springbar tool included with the Spectre set and the things just don't move with any ease. I don't even get any movement. Is this normal? Are the SELs putting some excess pressure on this? The bracelet is a 1479 bracelet.

I'll try to add pics or a video asap.

thanks,
    Jon

Edited Dec 30, 2015
  2. Clancy Eccles Dec 30, 2015

Ok, I tried a small tiny localized application of WD40. Every attempt fails...it's like they are welded in place. I'll try some other oil at home later.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 30, 2015

Should not be that difficult to remove, especially new.

Careful with too much pressure... one slip and.. :eek::eek:::facepalm2::

4. Clancy Eccles Dec 30, 2015

I gave up. Will go to Omega repair shop. My Omega spring bar tool took a beating, luckily the watch lugs are ok. Could the springs have fused inside?

5. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 30, 2015

Are they the ones with the smooth pins or those with the flanges on them. The smooth ones can be a real bugger to grab hold of and release, I don't like them, the ones with the flanges are easier because you have something to grab onto.

It will be interesting to see how well you make out at the shop, in my experience it could be a good or a awful experience depending on who you have at the counter.

Doubtful that the springs or the pins have fused, its' most likely a lack of grip issue.

Rob

Clancy Eccles and wsfarrell like this.
  6. Clancy Eccles Dec 30, 2015

They have a ridge I can get purchase on, especially since the Omega tool is quite small. I exert pressure until the tool pops over the flange. It's strange how there is absolutely zero movement given the amount of force I'm carefully applying.

I did read there was a part number xxx8 springboard that is longer than the xxx7, and not really needed when using bracelet/SELs.

7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 30, 2015

At worst, you can just snip it and rip it, and then put in a properly working pair of spring bars.

8. Clancy Eccles Dec 30, 2015

Holy crap, got one.

They were fused with dirt and grime. 1st try on one moved it today after the WD40. These must have been in for 20+ years...

9. Clancy Eccles Dec 30, 2015

This other one is insane. I have a 60kHz ultrasonic machine. I could hold this one side of the lugs and springbar under for 5 minutes if folks deem that would be safe for the movement. Not sure how much energy would transfer to the case> movement.

10. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 31, 2015

Sounds like you are making progress.

I can't see that the ultrasonic would cause any issues with the movement, after all when I disassemble the movement for service, it gets completely immersed in the tank and cleaning chemicals.

Rob

11. Clancy Eccles Dec 31, 2015

omfg this thing is welded in place? Ultrasonic later for sure, nothing else is working...

12. Clancy Eccles Jan 3, 2016

Spring was totally fused. There is a tiny bit of rust on the case under bezel "platform" on case. Took a an ultrasonic bath, lot of oil, and elbow grease to finally remove the springbar. One of my tools was severely damaged.

• [​IMG]

13. wsfarrell Jan 3, 2016

Congrats! Bet that feels good.

14. Clancy Eccles Jan 3, 2016

Feels very nice, my hands were sore after all the work. I think it will live on this strap for some time...

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 3, 2016

These didn't work for you?

Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 4.18.46 PM.png

16. Clancy Eccles Jan 3, 2016

The cutters I had weren't small enough. I live in Saudi Arabia, and I didn't feel like scouring the souks for a tool like this although I might have found one. I guess I could have ordered it on Amazon though I was impatient.

Is the model name "Ergo"? They are special fine-end cutters?

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 4, 2016

Any decent end cutters will solve the issue of dead spring bars. If I get a watch with green spring bars I don't even try to remove them with the proper tools, just snip in half and no damage to the lugs from frustrated attempts to get them off.

18. Clancy Eccles Jan 4, 2016

Ironically, there was no visible evidence of any type of corrosion. It ended up being entirely internal.

I tried some cutters I had, but in no way small enough to get in at the edge or in the middle given the fit on the speedies' 1479 bracelet. Thanks though, next time I will keep it in mind though. Maybe I needed a finer cutter.