Forums Latest Members

Thumbs down for Hirsch, but up for Watchobsession

1. ddurham Jan 13, 2018

I recently bought a new Hirsch Speed Calfskin strap that was issued by their UK distributor Watchobsession.
    https://www.hirschstraps.com/produc...loyment-watch-strap-black?variant=43861225608

Now the strap is nice but I wasn't very convinced by the so-called Magic clasp. It's a deployant clasp and the manufacturing quality is pretty decent but to my mind the design just isn't very safe at all.

Looks nice enough:
    20180113_122947.jpg

But the problem is that there are no buttons or clips to lock it when it's closed, it just clips into place and stays closed with friction. So, one small knock and your watch is on the floor.
    As you can see in this photo the clasp also sticks out quite a bit so it's pretty easy to just knock it open.

20180113_123007.jpg

Anyway, I wrote a mail to Watchobsession just to let them know about what I thought is a bit of a design flaw with one of the products that they distribute and with no fuss whatsoever they offered to send me a replacement Tag Heuer type clasp that does have the buttons. Not even a mention of payment of shipping costs, and I live in Amsterdam.
    So the real purpose of this post is simply to congratulate Watchobsession (www.watchobsession.co.uk) on their exemplary service.

Walrus, Wivac, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 13, 2018

Nice.. for what you pay for a Hirsch, such service should be expected. I too would not be comfortable with that design.

3. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jan 13, 2018

My experience of Hirsch products has only been positive, though I've never encountered anything on a deployant by the company. I have had a few things from WatchObsession and each transaction has been handled very well, including one with a problem which was resolved very speedily and in a manner demonstrative of a genuine customer-concentric attitude: good business for the company as I regularly look at its site for new products, will repeat-buy from them and recommend them to friends and family.

Longbow likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 13, 2018

Always nice to hear about good customer service, since its usually only the bad that gets reported.

GregH, Syrte, KingCrouchy and 4 others like this.
  5. AnotherDon Jan 13, 2018

That Hirsch clasp looks a lot like the older version Omega/Blancpain deployant clasp that I've worn for years. I've never had a problem with the clasp just popping open. Happen to be wearing the Blancpain version on a Leman triple date moonphase as I type this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wetworks likes this.
  6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 13, 2018

Another :thumbsup: for WatchObsession, a while back they missed sending an order on time and when they did send it all of one day late they included a very nice spring bar tool.

7. Skv Feb 16, 2020

I own two Hirsch Voyager Alligator straps. One in blue and one in burgundy. Both feature the Magic Clasp. One of the clasps snaps firmly into place when closed. No way that it will easily knock open during the day. The second clasp however felt different. It opened up with very little pressure. Upon closer inspection the locking mechanism seemed to look a bit smaller to my eyes.

I contacted WatchObsession and they send me a replacement on the very day that I contacted them. The replacement feels the same as my 'good' clasp. So maybe the topic starter just ended up with a lemon clasp. Or Hirsch updated the locking mechanism in the meanwhile.

Thumbs up for Watchobsession!
    Now I think of it, after buying the strap I found the polished clasp to be not matching the aesthetic of my watch. Watchobsession then sent me free of charge a satin polishing pad. You can see the results below. Would definitely buy again from them (thanks Betty)! And I would also definitely recommend the Hirsch Voyager gator straps (though pricey at around EUR 235).

20200215_130404.jpg 15818401967323264403206573578028.jpg 15818402142056695263816911889736.jpg 15818407016007139001188033289010.jpg
    Edited Feb 16, 2020
    Wetworks, Longbow and CPRwatch like this.
  8. JeffSpangle Mar 3, 2020

Wish I'd spotted this earlier. I bought a Hirsch strap with Magic Clasp form Watchobsession, delivered today, fitted, now taken off. Disappointed with the "magic" part. No safety buttons, just a friction fit with a gap that can get caught.

Emailed them back, waiting for a reply.

Very disappointed considering it's a £102 strap! (BTW, the leather strap is excellent, the clasp lets it down.)

9. Skv Mar 3, 2020

I have been using this clasp for months and it works perfectly. You can always change it for an OEM Omega clasp.

Maybe yours is flawed and does not snaps shut correctly?

10. kip595 Mar 3, 2020

I think others above may be correct that the OP simply got a 'lemon'; with that said I only used one of older manufacture some time ago, and briefly, so perhaps the design has been changed/updated?

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 3, 2020

Don’t know about those clasps but the OEM clasp I have on a Hamilton watch I bought many years ago was without any buttons and would just shut tight.

After several years of use it got loose and would open too easily but my watchmaker in a few minutes found a way to restore it back to its former glory.

12. Drb477 Mar 4, 2020

My "magic clasp" i just received last week holds fine and feels comfortable.