Forums Latest Members
  1. ewand Jan 6, 2017

Everyone was a learner driver before they got their license, and you have to tolerate people being at a stage of inexperience... but it seems in the last few months, 2 out of every 3 threads are from newly registered users with "I got this watch from my uncle, can anyone tell me what it is and what it's worth, thx!", never to be seen again.

Do any of the mods think it would be possible (and desirable) to set up a "new member introduction" discussion forum, and maybe make it that newly registered members can't post in other forums until they have amassed at least 5 posts, or been registered for at least a week, or even just have set a profile pic or some other detail?

2. Mikea Jan 6, 2017

Oops

STANDY likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 6, 2017

Been done to death. No more rules needed.

Over this period ( after Christmas) we have always picked up on these types of thread,s as people go home for family visits and receive their uncle,s, fathers, grandfathers watches.

@Mikea your cool you have a avatar you asked nicely and it's a connie. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited Jan 6, 2017
  4. ewand Jan 6, 2017

At least you're still here Mike :)

OK, if the collective feeling is no more rules, that's fine. It does feel that the one-post wonder threads are getting more frequent, even pre-Christmas...

5. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 6, 2017

I agree. It can be seen as the "cost of doing business" of a forum, that is being polite to newbies with the hope their interest will be long term. Nobody wants to be imposed a bunch of rules on the get-go, I think it sends the wrong message.

6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 6, 2017

What... you mean all of us know nuffink types just share our annoying, I'll informed nonsense between ourselves???... like this?

pcdm1.jpg
    Syrte and Traveler like this.
  7. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 6, 2017

I had a really good question about a vintage red box I saw in window yesterday... but now I feel I can only ask the other know nuffink people!

20170105_164407.jpg
  8. Mikea Jan 6, 2017

To be honest I don't know a great deal about Watches, this is the first watch forum i have joined, the only reason i joined was because i hit a brick wall about the connie.

I have previously owned (both 2002) a Tag Heuer wv2112 and a Speedmaster Michael Schumacher 5555, it was just last year I ended up swapping my Tag for my De ville and then i couldn't resist getting a connie after researching the de ville and cal 565. I have got one eye on selling it but i would like an informed opinion on its worth.

Edited Jan 6, 2017
  9. Longbow Jan 6, 2017

What gets peoples goat is laziness. Do the research and then, if you're still struggling, ask, nicely.
    Take a look at this thread here on OF, maybe your question is already answered. If not you will know who to ask.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/lets-make-the-ultimate-omega-box-thread.26615/

Good luck!

nonuffinkbloke and Davidt like this.
  10. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 6, 2017

Longbow likes this.
  11. ConElPueblo Jan 6, 2017

I'm currently re-reading all the interesting threads in the OF Vintage Omega back catalogue and when stumbling across my own first few posts, I'm happy to report that they are only moderately cringe-worthy :whistling:

But while newbie-threads have always been a part of the make-up of the forum and will only continue to be so, I agree with @Longbow that it's the laziness that's making established members annoyed. That and the "kthxbai" nature of some of the first posts - something that we are going to see A LOT more of. I do a bit of selling various stuff on other online market places, and how people communicate there makes me livid. A bit of common courtesy would be nice when communicating with a complete stranger, but somehow you still have people who make comments on something for sale only consisting of the figure they're willing to shell out.

Longbow likes this.
  12. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 6, 2017

Same could be said about 'throttling newbie threads'. :whistling:

ahsposo likes this.
  13. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 6, 2017

My first post was pretty clueless but I was polite, didn't expect much and was just blown away with the excellent, knowledgeable responses.

I really wasn't a "forum" newbie but I was very much a watch n00b.

As a forum vet I knew to be polite and ask as clear a question as possible, but also one that indicated I had done at least some previous research and a question that wasn't answered in some stickie.

And I set an avatar before posting...

14. Shibata Jan 6, 2017

My first post (2nd actually) here was the typical "I bought a watch, please make me feel better" post. Everyone who participated in the thread was great and the information I received taught me a lot. Everyone here deserves new members to be respectful of their knowledge and time by doing some research and and politely asking when they need help. It's pretty easy to pick out the ones that are not that.
    The participation and helpful information I received in that first thread definitely added to the enjoyment of my new hobby and made me want to stick around and get involved.
    Not all new members are going to have the perfect first post and some clearly stop by just briefly for their own benefit.
    I can say for sure that the time you take to help a new hobbyist out sometimes makes a difference. It did with me :)

Longbow and Stewart H like this.
  15. ulackfocus Jan 9, 2017

Ah spos you're the exception to the rule then. :p

The Golden Rule - he who knows about Gold Constellations makes the rules. :p

You can join ahsposo in that rare club of respectful / polite first time posters.

16. jasonW Jan 16, 2017